heated inlet manifold on 1275 - worth connecting or not?

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

heated inlet manifold on 1275 - worth connecting or not?

Postby paulr » Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:35 am

hi all,

our single carb 1275 has the facility for a heated inlet manifold but currently it is not connected - is it worth connecting and if so be grateful if someone could please guide me on where the connections to it run to and from - if it is not worth connecting - great - one job off the list

Paul
paulr

Re: heated inlet manifold on 1275 - worth connecting or not?

Postby Stuart » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:42 am

Best left not connected unless you drive around a lot during the winter during freezing conditions.
Stuart

Postby Rich » Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:18 pm

Mines connected, though I think I'll be bypassing it until it gets chilly. I run the piping from the top take off (clutch end of the cylinder head), through the manifold and into the heater.
Rich

Postby Jon » Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:26 pm

I have been told by someone who has a lot of engine design experience that the 'heated' inlet manifold is a misconception. It is actually a cooled inlet manifold. The water passing through the rest of the block and cylinder head is removing heat from the engine. The inlet manifold is cooled to some extent by the fuel/airflow through it, but generally reaches a temperature very close to that of the rest of the cylinder head. The manifold gasket could be assumed to insulate it a bit, but the studs/bolts/nuts etc are a direct heat transfer path. Thus the water passing through the manifold pipe is far more likely to be removing heat than adding it. The manifold pipe shouldn't be connected in series with the heater as the valve that stops the flow to the heater also stops the flow through the manifold.
Whether this is correct or not I don't know, but it sounds plausible.
Jon

Postby manifold » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:11 pm

Jon,

the heater outlet on the Mk3s (or metro) doesnt have a valve to alter flow whereas mini based heaters do.
Midas Cars Forum & Facebook Page Founder

Midas Gold Convertible: 1380 steel 16v KAD & 5 sp dog box, Titanium mania, KAD fr/rear callipers, CF Steering

Midas Gold Coupe: 1380 7 port xflow, SC/CR gearbox, Titanium mania, CF Steering & seats.
manifold

Postby paulr » Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:11 am

thanks all sounds like a 50/50 issue - might try it at some time but certainly seems like not an essential - thanks
paulr

Return to Miscellaneous