which instrument pack

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

which instrument pack

Postby paulr » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:47 am

our newly acquired midas gold has none working fuel and temp gauges - have replaced voltage stabiliser - still no readings - have read that to test gauges earth temp sender and should get max reading - no - nothing - tried same with fuel sender - no nothing ,

with ignition on get V reading of just under 10v at sender unit connection and nil with ignition off which to me suggests wiring between sender and gauge should be ok - making assumption that power comes via instrument pack to sender ??

if above is correct I suspect the gauges may be defective - does that seem likely and if so anyone know where they might be repaired or a source to replace them - not sure if they are replaceable as individual parts of instrument pack or whether it means replacing whole pack inc speedo and rev counter ,

if whole pack needed did they change between A series metro (on which my gold is based) and later metros - be glad of any wisdom from forum as struggling with this one at the moment

Paul

ps - in an ideal world I would want to plug an alternate instrument pack in as if gauges then worked would show me for sure that it is the gauges at fault
paulr

Re: which instrument pack

Postby Stuart » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:06 am

First off we need to establish what instrument cluster you have? I suspect you have the Rover one with the curved top? The Metro ones are rectangular with a small radius' to the corners.
Stuart

Postby paulr » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:21 pm

metro one I guess is rectangular with radiused corners but top is basically flat

Paul
paulr

Postby paulr » Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:03 am

what instrument pack have you got ?

keen to find out whether later metro instrument pack will fit wiring loom and dash space on my mk 3 - mine is rectangular plastic binnacle with radiused corners with rev counter and speedo each side - and in the middle at the top rectangular gauges for temp and fuel and below those gauges a bank of warning lights- connectors at the back are 2 different sized multi plug connectors and the speedo drive - has anyone got a different instrument pod from a later metro as I suspect will be easier to source a later one than one like mine?

thanks all
paulr

Postby Stuart » Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:25 pm

I have the same old style one as you by the sounds of it, in all Midas cars I've had they've been fine.
I have a feeling that the newer style pod won't be an esay plug-in mod though.
Stuart

Postby paulr » Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:10 pm

update - instrument pack from later metros not a straight swap - bought a secondhand one from an mg metro but does not fit (if anyone wants it let me know ) comes from the later dash with the heater controls beside the instrument pod - mine has now been serviced by speedy cables and once I crack the heater problem will be back in and off we go (I hope)
paulr

Return to Miscellaneous