Fibreglass/Carbon Fibre moulding

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Fibreglass/Carbon Fibre moulding

Postby Rich » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:23 pm

I'm sure a few on here have taken a mould from various parts. I've got a rough idea how to do this, but does anyone have the idiots guide?
Rich

Re: Fibreglass/Carbon Fibre moulding

Postby manifold » Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:54 pm

Im sure Alans your man. He's even been on a course! :)
Midas Cars Forum & Facebook Page Founder

Midas Gold Convertible: 1380 steel 16v KAD & 5 sp dog box, Titanium mania, KAD fr/rear callipers, CF Steering

Midas Gold Coupe: 1380 7 port xflow, SC/CR gearbox, Titanium mania, CF Steering & seats.
manifold

Postby Alan D. » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:22 am

Rich wrote:I'm sure a few on here have taken a mould from various parts. I've got a rough idea how to do this, but does anyone have the idiots guide?

Hi Rich,

we're just about to go into mouldings up here in the frozen north, but not actually done any as yet! This months and last months Complete Kit Car had carbon mould articles, or alternately buy John Dickens ( tech. ed. for CKC) excellent book on all things fiberglass @ £20.

What are you wanting to mould?

I've just asked if I can borrow the clubs, Mk 3 rear bumper mould and possibly the front bumper as well, I need a rear bumper for a project.

I have moulds for the Mk 1 & 2 radius arm end covers, which I bought from AC.

Alan
Alan D.

Postby MikeW » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:58 pm

Hi

The best book for grp car repairs, including moulding, was by Miles Wilkins, 'How to Restore Fibreglass Bodywork' - unfortunately long out of print. But you can now buy a reprint from a Lotus Books in Germany. It comes combined with Wilkins' book on car painting. See: http://www.lotus-books.com/additions.html You can pay in £. Order form: http://www.lotus-books.com/order.html

Just for moulding, not repair info is the excellent and more recent 'Competition Car Composites' by Simon McBeath, publisher Haynes. Still in print and covers carbon fibre as !well as grp, and all at shed scale!.

If anyone needs to buy fibreglass supplies in Scotland, I've found Allscot very helpful. Trade prices, DIY quantities, and open late some evenings as well as Sat morning. And no, I don't work for them, or get a discount!

Web: http://www.allscotltd.co.uk

They're in Glasgow, but do mail order

Cheers
MikeW
MikeW

Postby Rich » Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:51 am

Thank you both, I'll have a look at the books. I like the sound of 'shed scale'.

It's one of those things I've always wanted to do but never had the confidence to try, I suppose the logical thing to do is to try making moulds with something that wouldn't be missed if it didn't make it through the process. Apart from having the potential ability to make replacement panels for the Midas I've been toying with the idea of another kit rebuild and I can't believe that I'd get as lucky a second time with the bodywork.
Rich

Return to Miscellaneous