Live or Dead

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Live or Dead

Postby Alan D. » Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:07 am

BSM 827X It's alive, it would just need an MOT.

Owner: Alan Donowho
Colour: now faded red with black streaks!
Laid down: about 1980
Completed:06/08/1981
Chassis:DO 10064 (out of 67 Mk1's made I believe)
Factory Produced: Midas (Corby)
Former keepers: 1

This is my first Midas. I purchased it from the original owner in Carlisle. He built it in 1980-81 and his wife explained that they could have purchased a Golf Mk 1 for less money. So the Midas was an expensive car in its day! This car even now only done about 24000 miles from new and was built with mostly new components. He kept it stored in a garage for most of its life. Even now it is all covered up in one of my garages and it would just need a set of seats and an MOT. Then it would be on the road. ( I borrowed the rather nice seats for my Mk3 convertible) Sadly the paintwork has faded and black streaks are showing through, as apparently the previous car out of the mould was black!

The picture was taken at one of our N.E. meets in 2005.
th_n_a2-2[1].jpg
th_n_a2-2[1].jpg (5.17 KiB) Viewed 4217 times

The second picture shows the assemble throng, I suppose quite a good turn out for Midas cars in these latter days. The cars include, the Morpeth Midas (which was actually from Rothbury and not Morpeth), it was sold to Phil Baylis, I believe (then converted from auto to manual by Phil) and was the subject of much discussion on Hans's website and eventually exported to Euro-land. The next car from left to right was John Bell's very dark blue Mk 3 coupe,( the best handling Mk 3 coupe of the three or four cars which Stuart sampled one day on the Moffat Classic car rally, read the last TGT.) again sold.
Then my Mk 1 And finally Stan Armstrong's Mk 3 coupe converted to single cam K-series with coil-overs all round and very nice it was to drive too, alas again being sold!

Anyway sorry to go on so much, but it's interesting that these cars just keep moving on and still give their owners much pleasure even after a quarter of a century of use. The above Mk1, I have kept as standard, but eventually it will be sold on, (when the prices improve!) as I have too many Midas's or is it Midi!

This live or dead section is another good idea from the Manifold stable, as this is gives our cars some sort of pedigree for the future! Unfortunately some of my cars seem to be turning into mongrel's!

Say goodnight Gracie ( if your old enough to remember)

Alan
Attachments
n_a[2].jpg
n_a[2].jpg (39.94 KiB) Viewed 4216 times
Alan D.

Re: Live or Dead

Postby Alan D. » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:34 pm

This car has now been sold to Dave Angles!
Alan D.

Return to Mk 1