Just a polish, or much more work?

Get advice on painting and polishing your Midas, and making those all important repairs to that precious shell! Got an idea on Styling?

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Re: Just a polish, or much more work?

Postby davidj » Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:03 pm

No need to buy a special gel coat as a non surface sticky gel coat can be mixed by adding a liquid wax to the pigmented resin. The wax floats to the top, seals the surface and the resin goes hard underneath. You need very little of it as only 2 per cent does the trick. Supplies can be obtained from any good GRP supplier, find them on the web.

This technique called Flocoating is often used on the inside of hardtops or dinghies.

The alternative on small areas is to cover the surface with thin melanine whilst the resin goes off, you can even use resin resistant parcel tape but you will need to hand finish the surface to the correct shape.
davidj

Postby DavidL » Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:37 pm

davidj wrote:No need to buy a special gel coat as a non surface sticky gel coat can be mixed by adding a liquid wax to the pigmented resin. The wax floats to the top, seals the surface and the resin goes hard underneath. You need very little of it as only 2 per cent does the trick. Supplies can be obtained from any good GRP supplier, find them on the web.

This technique called Flocoating is often used on the inside of hardtops or dinghies.

The alternative on small areas is to cover the surface with thin melanine whilst the resin goes off, you can even use resin resistant parcel tape but you will need to hand finish the surface to the correct shape.

Thanks, that's useful to know - when you say the resin goes hard underneath, is that to the full depth of the resin? Would I then be able to hand finish the surface as necessary, or do I have to ensure that the surface created is exactly where I need it? Also, is there a specific liquid wax to use?

I'm off to Google Flocoating. :-)
DavidL

Postby davidj » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:37 pm

Yes the wax is specifically sold to use in this situation. The resin sets exactly as if it were the laminating resin and can be worked with normal body tools, files and wet and dry paper to bring up to a good finish. If you can follow the curves use the melamine method.
davidj

Previous

Return to Paint, Detailing, Bodywork and Styling