Just a polish, or much more work?

Get advice on painting and polishing your Midas, and making those all important repairs to that precious shell! Got an idea on Styling?

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Re: Just a polish, or much more work?

Postby midasnut » Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:25 pm

The indicator stalks from a series 1 discovery or the LDV & Sherpa vans will fit along with 90's montego etc. I managed to change my car to intermittent wipers just by replacing the stalk with one from a LDV
midasnut

Postby DavidL » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:02 pm

I was highly amused when I discovered that the stalks in the big Mercedes offroader (their version of the BMW X5 if you like) were the same as those in their Sprinter vans. Not any more, but they were in the early version.
DavidL

Postby DavidL » Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:11 pm

Going back to the original title of this thread, I should soon be able to answer the question myself. :D

Some time after next weekend, once I've dealt with insurance and the balance of what I owe the (soon to be ex-) owner...
DavidL

Postby Stuart » Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:19 pm

Nice one David ;) I think you'll find a respray is the only option for a perfect finish, that's not to say that you won't be able to improve the original gelcoat with a little TLC, it just depends how fussy you are.
Stuart

Postby DavidL » Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:40 pm

Stuart wrote:Nice one David ;) I think you'll find a respray is the only option for a perfect finish, that's not to say that you won't be able to improve the original gelcoat with a little TLC, it just depends how fussy you are.

Thanks Stuart. If it really does need a respray, it will have to continue looking rubbish for some considerable time. I'll see how well it reacts to the polisher first.

Oh, and I'm paying £950 for the car. It may be more than it's worth, but he wasn't happy to go any lower. In any case, it comes with 11 months MoT and tax, so I'm not terribly unhappy about it.
DavidL

Postby DavidL » Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:39 pm

Spoiler...

...now mostly gone. The black circle at the rear left corner of the upper surface is a trim button covering a hole which goes right through the bodyshell. It has 11 "friends". :-(

Unfortunately, the finish of the gel coat which was under the spoiler leaves much to be desired. It actually looks like the gelcoat has reacted with the filler which covered it, but I wouldn't have thought that was possible. I tried to take a photo but the best I could manage is this...

which isn't a great representation of what I want to show - there are pinholes, scores, blemishes, etc....

I think I might have to resort to filler and paint, at least in the short term.
DavidL

Postby manifold » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:05 pm

Hello David

Don't worry too much about it.

You don't hear about it in the car fraternity but you definitely do in the marine world, (in particular yacht racing where close racing in several ton yachts causes 'contact' issues!)..... It is possible to actually rip the gel coat back to the laminate. clear with acetone and rebuild it if you want, esp if you can get the right pigment colour. Its what they do to yachts all the time when they get battle scars. They build it back up with a small sponge roller then flatten back. I've seen and worked on yachts where you can't even see the repair, even when they have been holed right through. The marine market place takes a dim view on paint over gel coat boats for obvious reasons.

Alternatively you can sand back to key and then use a decent filler which is easier....as is not as relevant on cars.

Working with GRP is not the witchcraft some people would have you believe. Just plan well.

Just giving you options....all depends on how the rest of the gelcoat looks.

Happy to discuss.

David
Midas Cars Forum & Facebook Page Founder

Midas Gold Convertible: 1380 steel 16v KAD & 5 sp dog box, Titanium mania, KAD fr/rear callipers, CF Steering

Midas Gold Coupe: 1380 7 port xflow, SC/CR gearbox, Titanium mania, CF Steering & seats.
manifold

Postby DavidL » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:16 pm

Thanks David. The rest of the gelcoat isn't too bad, although the car has been painted, most of the body (which wasn't covered by a spoiler!) looks in reasonable order (although I have reservations about the bonnet). However, some of the gelcoat has come away from the body where I've removed the filler. I'm hoping that there aren't too many different shades of black gelcoat available, as I think I'd prefer to build it back up with gelcoat if that's a possibility.

What worried me is that all the fibreglass work I've done before (Bronze inner wings, heater fan housing, glovebox lid etc.) has been with the final surface up produced by the surface of a mould, rather than open to the elements. I did once try to use gelcoat on its own, but ended up with a sticky surface, so I was obviously doing something wrong. I think I may need some professional advice before I start on the refinishing in earnest.

However, there is at least one chandler, plus a couple of sailing clubs, within fifteen miles of me...
DavidL

Postby Victorc » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:54 am

faceofdoh,
It is possible to buy Gelcoat that will air dry. (that is the air side will harden) The usual type is designed to stay sticky in air, to make it easier to get a good bond with the next layer of resin and glassfibre. The special type that air dries may be harder to find, but it is worth the effort.
Regards
Victor
Victorc

Postby DavidL » Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:14 am

Victorc wrote:faceofdoh,
It is possible to buy Gelcoat that will air dry. (that is the air side will harden) The usual type is designed to stay sticky in air, to make it easier to get a good bond with the next layer of resin and glassfibre. The special type that air dries may be harder to find, but it is worth the effort.
Regards
Victor

Thanks Victor, I didn't know about that. I think it sounds like a call to my local chandlers might be a good idea - sounds like something that would be useful for yacht mending.
DavidL

PreviousNext

Return to Paint, Detailing, Bodywork and Styling