Paint your Midas with a roller

Get advice on painting and polishing your Midas, and making those all important repairs to that precious shell! Got an idea on Styling?

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Paint your Midas with a roller

Postby Stuart » Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:06 pm

This looks like a nice option for an old faded Midas. I believe Stan painted his Red car with a roller

A rather long thread here with a few links http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=18751
Stuart

Re: Paint your Midas with a roller

Postby Rich » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:56 pm

This is exactly how I'm planning to paint both the Beetle and the Midas..
Rich

Re: Paint your Midas with a roller

Postby stan1396 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:10 pm

Hi Stan here,just to put the record straight-MY WIFE PAINTED THE CAR WITH A ROLLER! phew ,that was a close one,but then she doesnt read this anyway! To recap,it is painted with coach enamel from www. craftmasterpaints.co.uk This worked really well with a foam mini roller,but you have to pick a point on the car to start and come back to for a 'wet edge' as by the time you get round the car it will have started to dry,so you need to pick a small area ,or probably start at a wing ,in front of a door and continue round the car.Hope that makes sense! We used primer,undercoat,gloss,and lacquer-in all 12 coats-but we started with a purdy brush,which was not successful and just left brush marks,so I probably rubbed 4 coats back off.you cannot rub down the last coat of gloss as it will leave marks in the paint,just apply the lacquer straight on top.After approx 6 months the paint was hard enough to rub down with g3 and plenty of soap and gives a nice polish.Of course it does help that Margaret is a professional decorator and has the ' knack'-I would reccomend you have a try on some panel first.
stan1396

Return to Paint, Detailing, Bodywork and Styling