wheel sizes

Get advice on painting and polishing your Midas, and making those all important repairs to that precious shell! Got an idea on Styling?

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

wheel sizes

Postby b1zbaz » Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:28 pm

will 13x7 wheels fit midas gold what info do i need i have found some i like but lost on what to ask for the item ebay item number is 140550292094 also are mini wheels the same as i can get some similar wheels for 200 quid that came off a mini my mate has given up on which have not done a mile plus do you reckon the above item number will suit a blue gold coupe thanks alot for looking
b1zbaz

Re: wheel sizes

Postby wolfie » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:06 pm

b1zbaz wrote:will 13x7 wheels fit midas gold what info do i need i have found some i like but lost on what to ask for the item ebay item number is 140550292094 also are mini wheels the same as i can get some similar wheels for 200 quid that came off a mini my mate has given up on which have not done a mile plus do you reckon the above item number will suit a blue gold coupe thanks alot for looking

You need to check the offset. If you get it wrong the wheels could either rub on the inner arches or protrude from under the arches.....an M.O.T failure either way. Haven't looked at the item but in my opinion gold alloys look great with dark blue (I used to love watching Colin Mcrae and Richard Burns in their scooby rally cars). A light blue car could have orange alloys like the famous Gulf racing colours but for anything else just plain silver
wolfie

Postby b1zbaz » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:43 pm

how do i check the offset and what is it
b1zbaz

Postby wolfie » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:50 pm

b1zbaz wrote:how do i check the offset and what is it

Basically get a straightedge and put it on the back of the actual rim then measure from the wheels mounting face (where the wheel thouches the hub) measure between those two points and you have the offset. To be honest I'd be very surprised if 7x13"s would fit
wolfie

Postby b1zbaz » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:44 pm

what wheels will fit i want minilites but clueless where to start
b1zbaz

Postby Geoff Butcher » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:59 pm

Why on earth do you need 7" rims?
Geoff
Geoff Butcher

Postby wolfie » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:51 pm

b1zbaz wrote:what wheels will fit i want minilites but clueless where to start

Speak to someone like Midland Wheel Supplies. They do various types of minilite variants at decent prices plus they're always at the big kitcar shows and mini shows so know what they're talkin about (they may have supplied other Midas owners). If you want to try and get 2nd hand ones try the metro owners club forum.
Hope this helps a bit
wolfie

Postby b1zbaz » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:27 pm

what size rims am i supposed to have
b1zbaz

Postby Alan D. » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:19 pm

As someone said earlier, Metro and Mini offsets are different. Have a look at this guide from Metropower, it will give you some ideas.

http://www.metropower.org.uk/portal/def ... 88&mnu=188

Too wide a rim on a MK3 will make the steering very heavy and probably stick beyond the wheel arch. My rims on that convertible with the MX5 seats are only 5.5 inches, but have a wide section tyre and I just manage to keep the tyre on the limit of the wheel arch. There is some argument about the offset (also called the "C" distance) on my wheels which is 115mm, some people say it should be 128mm. If the offset on my wheels was 128mm, it would mean that the tyre would be closer to the coil-over (inboard), probably meaning that it would fit under the wheel arch better!

So in simple terms 128-115=13mm closer inboard.

Bloody maths I wish I'd gone to school more often!

This could create other problems, like the tyre catching on the inside.
This is my understanding, but others my have a differing opinion! Some Midas owners have stated that the Metro turbo wheels ( I think) have the best offset for a Midas. You can use different wheels say from a Honda car (just an example), but you would have to re-drill your hubs to a differing PCD (Pitch circle Diameter). So you basically put your wheel studs in a different place on the hubs! There are no rules, these are Kit Cars, you make it up as you go along! So that's my two-penny's worth.

Hope it helps.

Alan
Alan D.

Postby b1zbaz » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:22 pm

im just gonna keep the turbo wheels
b1zbaz

Next

Return to Paint, Detailing, Bodywork and Styling