rear window drainage

Get advice on painting and polishing your Midas, and making those all important repairs to that precious shell! Got an idea on Styling?

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

rear window drainage

Postby tog0035 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:40 pm

Hello members . I have just repaired the radius arms and door hinges on my orange mk 2. I now need to fit my mx 5 seats. My question is can some one explain or illustrate the drainage system for the rear glass hatch. the cover over the light clusters is missing ;is this part of of the drainage.I am anxious to get on the road but the weather will not allow with out this problem being resolved . Regard TOG 0035
tog0035

Re: rear window drainage

Postby Stuart » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:36 am

The cover isn't anything to do with it, it is the central extra moulding that also includes the spare wheel holder that allows the water to drain through.
Stuart

Postby tog0035 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:59 pm

Thanks for your quick reply Stuart you seem to be The man for the answers. I shall check he car saturday. I would like to post some pics of the car but it does not seem to be simple as opposed to attaching a file with an email .Maybe you could shed some light. Regards Tog
tog0035

Postby Stuart » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:59 am

You can upload photos to the forum straight from your PC using the upload attachment button, make sure you're not on quick reply, you need full editor, the photos will need resizing on your PC before uploading as the size limit is fairly low, David will know the exact limit, 100kb ish I think.

Or upload your photos to http://photobucket.com/ and paste the link address into yours post on the forum.
Stuart

Postby manifold » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:45 am

Yes I recommend Photobucket myself or another photo hosting site. If a problem occurs with the forum and I have to rebuild it it doesnt orphan the photos attachments.

I believe the attachment photo size is about 100kb or less. It may theoretically be higher (I havent checked the back end) but I wouldnt recommend it due to loading times.
Midas Cars Forum & Facebook Page Founder

Midas Gold Convertible: 1380 steel 16v KAD & 5 sp dog box, Titanium mania, KAD fr/rear callipers, CF Steering

Midas Gold Coupe: 1380 7 port xflow, SC/CR gearbox, Titanium mania, CF Steering & seats.
manifold

Postby tog0035 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:34 pm

Hello Stuart I have tried to post a few pics but I get a post back to say its full . Could I possibly send you a pm and send you some pics of the drainage system. I think the builder of the car drilled the hole in the wrong place as the water drains into the spare wheel well and out through a 8mm hole there. my email address is terrygrimeswaterford@gmail.com Regards TOG
tog0035

Postby mikeeskriett » Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:23 pm

Hi

As others have said the drain system runs inside the moulding that runs down inline with the hole in the centre of the bottom of the rear window gutter. Midway down you have the round bump that sits in the centre of the spare wheel. If the 8mm hole is there it is normally used for the spare wheel securing bolt there isn't anything stopping the water corroding the captivated nut so more often than not the captivated nut has seized and either been drilled out or ripped out in the case of my Mk2. The water then fills up the spare wheel well. The proper drain point is outside under the back of the car broadly if you work down the centre of the rear valance there should be a hole drilled a couple of inches from the bottom of the valance. It's usually full of gunge so I would plug the hole inside clear the drain hole as best you can and then back flush it from underneath to losen the gunk and then rinse it throught from the top. I'm planning to make a new captivating plate out of stainless for mine and seal the back of it to keep the water out.

Cheers,

Mike
mikeeskriett

Postby mikeeskriett » Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:29 pm

Just found one of my old pics, the retaining bolt can be seen in the middle of this pic hanging from the mounting hole.

mikeeskriett

Postby tog0035 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:46 pm

Hello Lads. Thanks for the replies .I now understand that the water drains through this structrure which houses the spare wheel retaining bolt BUT how does the water get from the water chanel around glass hatch to this structure. the drainage hole at base of hatch is straight into spare wheel well. Regards TOG.
tog0035

Postby mikeeskriett » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:52 pm

You should have two holes the first is a slot for the lock to hook into on the vertical part of the gutter just under the weather seal. The second should be another slot at the bottom of the channel, this is the drain hole and should drain into the duct rather than the wheel well. I'll see if I can get to the back of the Mk2 and take a couple of pics.
mikeeskriett

Next

Return to Paint, Detailing, Bodywork and Styling