Painting subframes

Get advice on painting and polishing your Midas, and making those all important repairs to that precious shell! Got an idea on Styling?

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Painting subframes

Postby wolfie » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:50 pm

Just wondering what people are using nowadays? I used to use Hammerite but nowadays it seems to be crap no matter how much you stir it. Anything out there that people think is the dogs danglies for painting my subframes?
wolfie

Re: Painting subframes

Postby Rich » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:57 pm

I'm using Jotun epoxy primer, it's rated for use below the waterline on boats, is tough as hell and you can put pretty much what you want on top, the metal protection is in the primer rather than the top coat.
Rich

Postby manifold » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:38 pm

your right about that Richard. I am using 6 coats of epoxy as a structural water proof barrier coat for my boat. It helps prevent osmosis in the grp.....or for that matter in steel, rust.
Midas Cars Forum & Facebook Page Founder

Midas Gold Convertible: 1380 steel 16v KAD & 5 sp dog box, Titanium mania, KAD fr/rear callipers, CF Steering

Midas Gold Coupe: 1380 7 port xflow, SC/CR gearbox, Titanium mania, CF Steering & seats.
manifold

Postby Hans Efde » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:42 am

I've used Rustoleum spray paint (can) primer as a base coat. Over it for small spots the Rustoleum gloss black (hard hat spray can):

and for large areas my spray gun with the standard black gloss paint from the local DIY (their own brand). Used it for the subframes, suspension and fuel tank. It's too early to say how good it is.
Hans Efde

Postby MrBounce » Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:54 pm

If you can afford it, try this stuff from Frost; my brother swears by it. It is by far the toughest stuff he's ever used.

http://www.frost.co.uk/automotive-paint ... paint.html
MrBounce

Postby Geoff Butcher » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:39 pm

http://www.indestructible.co.uk/cat2/IP9168AB.html
This is the sort of stuff you need
Geoff
Geoff Butcher

Return to Paint, Detailing, Bodywork and Styling