Mojo boost

Get advice on painting and polishing your Midas, and making those all important repairs to that precious shell! Got an idea on Styling?

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Mojo boost

Postby Rich » Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:06 pm

My Midas has been sat doing nothing apart from being partially stripped in a temporary garage for well over a year now, probably closer to two. Winter was pretty much written off due to the weather and I've struggled to get any sort of motivation to start again.

Today however, the red midas turned brown...

That's the first couple of coats of Penguard HB epoxy primer on..
Rich

Re: Mojo boost

Postby kelvink » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:53 pm

Pengaurd, now that brings back memories.... That'll be a Jotun paint then. should be pretty sturdy stuff I used to come across it being used on offshore oil and gas platforms! Will be interested in how you get on with the repainting as I intend/need to do mine too
kelvink

Postby Rich » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:09 pm

I've used it before Kelvin, it's rated for below the waterline use without a topcoat so should do me ok. If you do get some, definitely get the thinners too, it's thick stuff and goes on pretty lumpy without a good dollop of thinners. When I was painting aftermarket Beetle wings with the stuff I swear they were stiffer after painting.
Rich

Postby kelvink » Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:34 am

LOL indeed, like I say "sturdy" is the word for it. I was wondering if you had an airless spray for it, we used to use a Binks B6 or Graco Spray King. It would have the entire car done in 30 seconds flat if you were careful ;)
kelvink

Postby Rich » Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:09 am

I'm using a cheap HVLP set up, not brilliant but it gets the paint on without mixing oil and water into it all. Naturally now I've taken the step to start painting, it has started raining....
Rich

Postby manifold » Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:02 pm

It will be sturdy. Lol. Epoxy is a structural coating, unlike gel coat. It's also a lot more resistant to water penetration. Hence why it's used below the waterline for 'pox' treatment (osmosis). Sets like iron. There's a timing process for putting on top coats to get a chemical bond though....unless your happy with a mechanical bond. Keep temps above 10 degrees whilst applying.
Midas Cars Forum & Facebook Page Founder

Midas Gold Convertible: 1380 steel 16v KAD & 5 sp dog box, Titanium mania, KAD fr/rear callipers, CF Steering

Midas Gold Coupe: 1380 7 port xflow, SC/CR gearbox, Titanium mania, CF Steering & seats.
manifold

Postby Rich » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:27 pm

Hi David,

I suspect I''ll be having to use a bit of both, the first two coats went on within the hour but the weather means there will be a pause before the colour goes on. It looks like I'll be breaking out the abranet to give a physical key.
Rich

Postby manifold » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:43 pm

Some epoxys are more forgiving than others. I think hempels is a few days. Not sure about Jotuns. I know wests isn't...and it blooms easy. Dry days are best to avoid humidity impacting on the cure process.

Midas Gold Convertible: 1380 steel 16v KAD & 5 sp dog box, Titanium mania, KAD fr/rear callipers, CF Steering

Midas Gold Coupe: 1380 7 port xflow, SC/CR gearbox, Titanium mania, CF Steering & seats.
manifold

Postby manifold » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:45 pm

...and mix ratios are a lot more critical than polyester resins too. It cures in a completely different way.

manifold

Postby Rich » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:52 pm

manifold wrote:...and mix ratios are a lot more critical than polyester resins too. It cures in a completely different way.

A nice easy 1:4 for Jotun, I invested in 50 graduated mixing pots in the build up to doing this, an absolute godsend and cheap enough to bin after every use.
Rich

Return to Paint, Detailing, Bodywork and Styling