Gold Coupe rear light cluster

Get advice on painting and polishing your Midas, and making those all important repairs to that precious shell! Got an idea on Styling?

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Re: Gold Coupe rear light cluster

Postby ACourtney » Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:30 pm

mfdriver wrote:How come your doors fit flush and mime don't. And where did the drip rail come from- caravan accessory supplier? Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks
Malcolm

Hi Malcolm,

The secret of getting the doors to fit flush is to brace the bottom rear corner against the window frame. This is easier with the steel frames on the latest cars, which have a bracket at the bottom specifically for that purpose. However, I have also come across a coupe with an additional bracket added on by someone to aid bracing the door moulding.

I don't know where the drip rail in the photo came from, but I have recently bought in a couple of rolls from a US supplier as I couldn't find a source in the UK.

drip rail.png
drip rail.png (314.71 KiB) Viewed 8005 times

As you can see it is self adhesive and will cost £4.00 a foot. I've no idea about P&P yet as I have only just got my hands on it and haven't weighed any out yet (P&P from the US accounted for half of the cost!)

Regards,
Alistair
ACourtney

Postby axshack » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:59 pm

Stuart wrote:
axshack wrote:Jin, absolutely beautiful setup....looks like I am going to be doing something similar with my Metro lenses!!
Dave

I must point out that they're MK2 Cavalier lights, as Hans has already pointed out.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VAUXHALL-CAVA ... 4ad3e65024

well, whatever they belong to, I have always disliked them and it is definitely time to do something about them !!

d
axshack

Postby DavidL » Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:21 am

axshack wrote:well, whatever they belong to, I have always disliked them and it is definitely time to do something about them !!

d

Each to their own.

Having resigned myself to the look of the rear of my Bronze, and then seeing the Gold (mark 3) on its introduction, I always thought those Cavalier lights looked much more "right" on it than the Bronze's TR7 units - which I always disliked.

I'm still impressed by those light units which are the main subject of this thread though. Lovely piece of work.
DavidL

Postby Stuart » Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:30 am

DavidL wrote:
Having resigned myself to the look of the rear of my Bronze, and then seeing the Gold (mark 3) on its introduction, I always thought those Cavalier lights looked much more "right" on it than the Bronze's TR7 units - which I always disliked.

I wonder what you think of the Cavalier lights on my mk2 ? I'm not the guilty party I might add.

I also wonder if a moulding like Jin made based on the TR7 lights with round lights fitted would work. I guess it's all in the eye of the beholder.

I'm also not at all keen on those clear lights, they look like they're broken to me, as though the lens is missing.

Stuart

Postby DavidL » Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:20 pm

Stuart wrote:
DavidL wrote:

I wonder what you think of the Cavalier lights on my mk2 ? I'm not the guilty party I might add.

I also wonder if a moulding like Jin made based on the TR7 lights with round lights fitted would work. I guess it's all in the eye of the beholder.

I'm also not at all keen on those clear lights, they look like they're broken to me, as though the lens is missing.

It's a shame that whoever fitted them didn't make the effort to make them vertical - having them slope forward like that spoils it instantly for me. I've also never been a fan of having a "square" number plate at the back, but that's a consequence of the Mk 2's relatively narrow rear end.
However, if it had been designed with wrap-around rear light clusters like those from the Metro - or any other car with narrow rear clusters - then it might have been possible to use a single-line number plate, which might have given it the impression of making it look wider; in MY opinion, that would have improved its looks from behind.
But as they say, "your mileage may vary"... :)

Also, I agree with you about those clear light clusters; I just think they look broken/incomplete/just plain wrong...
DavidL

Previous

Return to Paint, Detailing, Bodywork and Styling