Gold Coupe rear light cluster

Get advice on painting and polishing your Midas, and making those all important repairs to that precious shell! Got an idea on Styling?

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Gold Coupe rear light cluster

Postby axshack » Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:17 am

I was thinking about improving on the standard metro rear lights to use modern LED units and then came across this Belgian car the owner of which has done exactly what I had in mind ! Anyone know this car or the person who built these units....I would dearly like to get hold of the moulds and make a pair for myself (if they exist that is). Just trying to save many hours of fabrication if I can !! :D
Attachments
MIDAS Rear lights.jpg
MIDAS Rear lights.jpg (27.64 KiB) Viewed 12768 times
axshack

Re: Gold Coupe rear light cluster

Postby Hans Efde » Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:10 am

I know the Dutchman who built it. His name is Joris Droste.Later he sold his car to Belgium. I wrote about this project in 1 of the club magazines I edited. It is a scratchbuilt project and there are no moulds.He made it from wood and he removed the lights from Subaru aftermarket clusters.
Another project was by Charlie Dodd.he did produce parts from a mould in which caravan lights were mounted. There are pics of a dutch green coupe on internet with these lights. Another option are the Brazilian Cavalier cluster lights. A Dutch red convertible have these.They are from clear plastic.
Hans Efde

Postby Hans Efde » Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:19 am

Here's the text I got from Joris:

My beautiful Midas needed a change at the back. The Ascona/Cavalier taillights annoyed me from the beginning. In a tuning magazine I saw a Subaru Impreza with after-market LED taillights. These were the lights I wanted for my Midas. They look like Lotus Elise (I'd love to own one of those!) taillights because of the clear center with a red edge. Funny that with the latest update they were changed to a LED style as well. Have the Lotus chaps seen my Midas driving by?
After some research I found the taillights for 299,- euros (about 200 GBP). A bit expensive for lights I was going to saw in pieces with the chance it wouldn't fit. After many evenings surfing on the internet I located the manufacturer. I mailed them with the question if I could buy the lights without the Impreza plugs. It was possible and for 140,- euros (about 100GBP) they were sent to me.
When I received the package it turned out that they had sent the complete Subaru units. So I still had to cut them loose. After having taken measurements the saw went in and I ended up with 8 pieces, 4 reflectors and 4 lights. Now it became clear if they would fit!
Quickly I discover the existing apertures in the body are too small. I need to widen the holes in order to fit the lights side by side.
Another problem is how I must build the plugs. Many attempts lead to nothing. After almost half a year of fiddling I decide to build the plugs from plywood with an epoxy coating. The same way boats are made. For me as a carpenter working with plywood is a piece of cake. The curves are made by bending an aluminum plate. When everything fits, I smooth it out with epoxy. I have no experience with this stuff, but it's quite easy. Mix the 2 components in the right order and brush it on. It flows out mirror smooth. After 4 coats (let it cure thoroughly in between) I am satisfied. Just a matter of using filler for a few small dents and sand it down. As the original Subary lights I spray the plugs in high gloss black. The apertures in the Mias are widened and the lights are installed.
Unfortunately there is quite a bit of rain leakage, but it's solved by installing several types of rubber strip. Then it's a matter of hooking up the wiring and finished!
I am very pleased with the end result. And I've got rid of the Ascona/Cavalier taillights that everyone recognized at first glance. In the mean time my Midas has passed the MOT with the new lights, so no problems with legal issues.
Hans Efde

Postby axshack » Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:08 pm

Hans, many thanks for this info....I was going to sacrifice the current lenses and use them to make moulds. I think I will still do that in due course.
Eventually, I will use LED lamps from www.cbsonline.co.uk.

This is going to be next year's activity, as I am concentrating on vinyl wrap, powder coating wheels and fitting MX5 seats at the moment! :shock:

Dave
axshack

Postby Stuart » Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:27 pm

Have you got any photos of your car in its current state yet?

I've got to cut these off my car one day, and repair the bodywork that was cut away to fit them, they're glued in with a ton of epoxy glue.

Mk2 003.jpg
Mk2 003.jpg (67.32 KiB) Viewed 12754 times
Stuart

Postby Jin » Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:56 pm

you could try and do a similar thing i did to the Quantum

http://quantumforum.proboards.com/threa ... ear-lights

i will be doing the Cortez soon....
https://easywider.co.uk/ universal flexible wheel arch extensions
Jin

Postby mfdriver » Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:00 pm

How come your doors fit flush and mime don't. And where did the drip rail come from- caravan accessory supplier? Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks
Malcolm
mfdriver

Postby Hans Efde » Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:05 pm

Jin wrote:you could try and do a similar thing i did to the Quantum

http://quantumforum.proboards.com/threa ... ear-lights

i will be doing the Cortez soon....

wow that's a thing of beauty.
Hans Efde

Postby axshack » Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:24 pm

Jin, absolutely beautiful setup....looks like I am going to be doing something similar with my Metro lenses!!
Dave
axshack

Postby Stuart » Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:20 pm

axshack wrote:Jin, absolutely beautiful setup....looks like I am going to be doing something similar with my Metro lenses!!
Dave

I must point out that they're MK2 Cavalier lights, as Hans has already pointed out.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VAUXHALL-CAVA ... 4ad3e65024
Stuart

Next

Return to Paint, Detailing, Bodywork and Styling