Door part and sunroof seal required

Get advice on painting and polishing your Midas, and making those all important repairs to that precious shell! Got an idea on Styling?

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Door part and sunroof seal required

Postby Marc Hilton » Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:44 pm

Hi guys

I'm nearly ready to get properly stuck into my Bronze rebuild but I'm in need of a few things to make the shell waterproof and proper again. The N/S door window winder mounting plate has rotten from the bottom and I need to either repair it or replace it. Anybody got one they can offer me before I get some sheet steel and find somewhere with a folding machine? The other query I have is relating to the rear hatch glass panel. The one I have seems to be cut from some other original item and it has been shaped wrong so it does not fit particularly well. It literally butts against the hinge on one side when I try to correctly line up the attachment bolts with the fittings.

Oh and I have one of those generic pop up and slide out sunroofs which, inevitably, leaks. The seals are way past their best so looking to replace those too. Anyone had any luck with this or just sourced a full replacement unit?

Cheers for any help in advance

Marc
Marc Hilton

Re: Looking for advice and/or parts

Postby Hans Efde » Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:24 am

Concerning the sunroof, most leak because they do not have the proper curve. On metal cars the roof of the car will follow the sunroof frame curve. But on the Midas the roof is a thick shell that won't budge, causing an ill fitting sunroof to be under a lot of stress. So to get a good leak free sunroof you need to find one with the correct curve. Just a matter of going to a shop, unbox them and put the frame on the Midas roof. If the curvature is similar, the sunroof glass will be seated evenly stressed, decreasing the risk of leaks and breakage. I did so when I installed a sliding sunroof in my first Gold coupe and I was surprised to discover how much brands differ from eachother.
Hans Efde

Postby Marc Hilton » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:40 pm

Thanks for that Hans. I was considering just glassing it over and getting rid of it but I quite like the idea of it.
Marc Hilton

Postby Hans Efde » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:37 pm

The sunroof is a good method for ventilating the cabin, so worth keeping.
Hans Efde

Postby Jin » Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:58 am

Hans Efde wrote:Concerning the sunroof, most leak because they do not have the proper curve. On metal cars the roof of the car will follow the sunroof frame curve. But on the Midas the roof is a thick shell that won't budge, causing an ill fitting sunroof to be under a lot of stress. So to get a good leak free sunroof you need to find one with the correct curve. Just a matter of going to a shop, unbox them and put the frame on the Midas roof. If the curvature is similar, the sunroof glass will be seated evenly stressed, decreasing the risk of leaks and breakage. I did so when I installed a sliding sunroof in my first Gold coupe and I was surprised to discover how much brands differ from eachother.

Sorry to hijack, is that an aftermarket sliding sunroof?
Didn't think they existed?
I'm looking for ideas for mine
https://easywider.co.uk/ universal flexible wheel arch extensions
Jin

Postby Hans Efde » Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:28 am

Jin wrote:
Hans Efde wrote:Concerning the sunroof, most leak because they do not have the proper curve. On metal cars the roof of the car will follow the sunroof frame curve. But on the Midas the roof is a thick shell that won't budge, causing an ill fitting sunroof to be under a lot of stress. So to get a good leak free sunroof you need to find one with the correct curve. Just a matter of going to a shop, unbox them and put the frame on the Midas roof. If the curvature is similar, the sunroof glass will be seated evenly stressed, decreasing the risk of leaks and breakage. I did so when I installed a sliding sunroof in my first Gold coupe and I was surprised to discover how much brands differ from eachother.

Sorry to hijack, is that an aftermarket sliding sunroof?
Didn't think they existed?
I'm looking for ideas for mine

Yes, it's a Farmont F100 and it fitted perfectly. It was installed just behind a structural element in the roof, hence the slightly aft placement. You'll loose 1 inch headroom though. I wrote about it in the club mag ages ago. Here are a few pics. As said it fits completely stressfree on the Gold coupe.
I went to a glass fitter that had loads of sunroofs on stock. This one was best, it opens with a small lever.
Hans Efde

Postby Jin » Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:37 am

Looks great mate, well done
https://easywider.co.uk/ universal flexible wheel arch extensions
Jin

Return to Paint, Detailing, Bodywork and Styling