interior trim colour choice

Get advice on painting and polishing your Midas, and making those all important repairs to that precious shell! Got an idea on Styling?

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

interior trim colour choice

Postby Jin » Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:00 am

I'm about to re-trim the dash and door and rear side panels in foam backed vinyl but can't decide on the colour, don't want black or grey, have considered white cream tan and dark red, anyone got any ideas and pictures?

Cheers
https://easywider.co.uk/ universal flexible wheel arch extensions
Jin

Re: interior trim colour choice

Postby benofbrum » Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:09 pm

My Excelsior is trimmed in a royal blue Alacantra to match the seats and paintwork. Being matt, it does not cause a problem with reflections
benofbrum

Postby streetsy » Sun Aug 09, 2015 2:47 pm

Treasurers car (Michael H)is white with a vivid red interior, red may also look good against the purply blue of your car.
streetsy

Postby ACourtney » Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:38 pm

The best advice that I have received from a professional trimmer is to stick to no more than two colours for the trim, otherwise it gets too fussy.
That can be harder than it sounds as the carpet will account for one colour and often the seat another. One of the best finished cars that I have been involved with is Stephen Kennedy's Gold Convertible.
He chose two shades of grey for the interior with the darker one on top (less reflective), so a light grey carpet was chosen to match the lighter trim colour.

Kennedy Interior.jpg
Kennedy Interior.jpg (107.02 KiB) Viewed 16805 times

This was the first Midas Gold with the IVA compliant door frame and my new door cards. The one thing I hated from my Excelsior was my elbow banging on the door release, so I moved it up and forward to alongside the steering wheel, to right below the point where the little steel triangle shows above the door top. This point provides three locations to tack weld screws to to hold the door pull in place. I also upgraded the cheap looking Metro door pull for a Rover 200/400/600 plated door pull. The pull rod just needed to be extended with some welding rod.
ACourtney

Postby Jin » Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:44 pm

That looks great, very high quality.
I think I've settled on black and red which will be just 2 colours,
Are the rover 25 interior handles a direct swap for the rover metro / 100 units?

Thanks for the replies
Jin

Postby ACourtney » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:12 pm

I think they were off the earlier (square back) Rover 200, but also found in the 400, 600 and 800 and yes they were basically a direct swap. The fitting for the rod end is identical, but the plastic moulding is designed to go on an edge. I designed the new door panels to be in two parts, with the door handle recessed into the bottom edge of the top section. It is a shame that you missed the open day as you could have seen Stephen's car for yourself.
ACourtney

Postby streetsy » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:14 pm

My interior is black with red stitching and piping, I have aluminium clock surrounds and centre console to brighten it up, black and red are good choices though.
Attachments
Interior.JPG
Interior
Interior.JPG (6.85 MiB) Viewed 16787 times
streetsy

Postby Jin » Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:20 am

Excellent, that combo works for me, just waiting on some material samples to finalise the choice

its taken forever to get he door cards somewhere near right structurally and fit n finish but i got the basics of the drivers door sorted last night so things are moving on.

Alistair thanks for the info in the handles, ill try and hunt some out, i would have loved to go to the open day but sadly couldn’t walk or drive due to a knee infection, roll on next year....
Jin

Return to Paint, Detailing, Bodywork and Styling