Colour Combinations

Get advice on painting and polishing your Midas, and making those all important repairs to that precious shell! Got an idea on Styling?

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Colour Combinations

Postby streetsy » Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:39 pm

Alongside my Red MK3 convertible I also have a Maroon Mk3 Coupe which is to become my daily car when I get round to selling the current daily. The coupe needs some paint on the front wing tops, bonnet and bumper which got me thinking about two tone rather than attempting a colour match. On this thought I took a CAD drawing of the Mk3 that is available on the forum, exported it to a bitmap file and began playing with colours using MS Paint. Below are my first efforts, what colour scheme would you choose for yours. I will also upload an unshaded car should anybody wish to try their hand at (albeit basic) colour schemes.
Attachments
Midas Maroon 8.jpg
Midas Maroon 8.jpg (25.43 KiB) Viewed 16902 times
Midas Maroon.jpg
Maroon as the car stands
Midas Maroon.jpg (22.76 KiB) Viewed 16902 times
Midas MaroonGrey.jpg
Maroon and grey
Midas MaroonGrey.jpg (23.78 KiB) Viewed 16902 times
streetsy

Colour Combinations

Postby streetsy » Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:40 pm

Plain outline
Attachments
Midas Outline.jpg
A plain line drawing
Midas Outline.jpg (129.2 KiB) Viewed 16901 times
streetsy

Re: Colour Combinations

Postby Hans Efde » Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:19 pm

My amateur feeling is that the Midas doesn't lend itself very much for a two tone paint job, because it's stubby and small and there aren't any bodylines that make a natural division line. Even the ones with Gulf colors look weird in my eyes. But there are a few with stripes and they look good though.
I once did a back cover about it:

Here's a two tone that is actually quite funny:
Hans Efde

Postby All That Glisters » Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:33 pm

I always felt that the detachable nose of the mk3 lends itself to a Gold Leaf Team Lotus paint job. If someone more capable than me could mock this up I'd be truly grateful. I think that the Elan had some versions with this colour scheme.
I could never make myself like the John Player Special black/gold.
Then again I'm with Henry Ford when he said " You can have any colour as long as it's British Racing Green'.

Bright Moments.
Mark
All That Glisters

Postby kelvink » Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:33 am

I tend to agree with you both.

The Midas lines are not really the sort that lend themselves to two tone in my opinion and there's been some brave attempts which personally I think are a big 'fail' but beauty is in the eye of the beholder after all.

However having said that I have actually contemplated two tone myself, or more accurately I suppose triple tone. I was also thinking along the lines of the Gold Leaf Team Lotus colour scheme or Rothmans. It's something I've been seriously contemplating with one of my Mk2s particularly as I'm intending doing a bit of motorsport with it.

You could switch any of the colours round and use the general pattern as a guide
kelvink

Postby Hans Efde » Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:13 am

That Rothmans color scheme looks great. I'd love to see that on a Midas. It would be nice if we could have a software Midas configurator in which should be able to make images of Midasses with all sorts of color schemes. Now I see people spending a lot of time and money on paint jobs with questionable results.
Hans Efde

Postby goldeneye » Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:31 am

Red for me 8-)
Midas Mk II
goldeneye

Postby Jin » Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:55 pm

I've always thought that black and orange Gold looks ace,
Imagine black / yellow, black / lime green or black / baby blue, mmmmm
https://easywider.co.uk/ universal flexible wheel arch extensions
Jin