Installing front LED lights

Get advice on painting and polishing your Midas, and making those all important repairs to that precious shell! Got an idea on Styling?

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Installing front LED lights

Postby Hans Efde » Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:21 am

I modified the front lights of my mk3 with LED lights. I installed LED lights in the existing Cibie beams, still have to find out if it passes the MOT this way. Plenty of light though and I like the 5000K color in favour of the 3000K yellowish color.
Citylights and indicators were replaced by a Polish light unit. I bought a small DRL box, so the citylights light up all the time. But still have to install it. To make LED indicators work I installed a special flasher unit. I made a simple frame to fit inside the bumper hole and used tiereps to bolt it and the mesh to small brackets that were glued inside the bumper. So the mod is fully reversible should anyone (me or the next owner) wanting to have it original again. Below pics of the build and completion. After completion I noted the angle of the lights not completely correct, so next job is to bend the frame slightly upwards (or make a new one). Also I used a finer mesh than the central radiator intake. It doesn't look as good as I thought so probably will install coarser mesh. For the rest I am happy with the result. Only the lights revealed the age of the car, now it looks a bit more modern again.
Hans Efde

Re: Installing front LED lights

Postby PerS » Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:32 pm

Hi Hans,
A clean, cool "less is more" kind of look!

Cheers
PerS
PerS

Return to Paint, Detailing, Bodywork and Styling