Respray needed

Get advice on painting and polishing your Midas, and making those all important repairs to that precious shell! Got an idea on Styling?

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Respray needed

Postby SteveJiggs » Sun Mar 05, 2023 7:45 pm

Hi. My green Mk3 Coupe desperately needs a respray, if you brush past it you get green pigment on whatever touches it.

Best way to remove the old paint? Abrasives or stripper?

When to stop sanding if I use abrasives as I think the paint is the same colour as the gel coat?

Or use a safe, water soluble stripper? I found one used in the boat industry that claims not to damage grp or gel coat.

Or bite the bullet and pay to have it all done professionally? Although I’ve seen some eye watering prices. I live in Gloucestershire and would be prepared to travel for a proper job. Any suggestions?

Anything else?

Thanks

Steve
SteveJiggs

Re: Respray needed

Postby cubera » Tue Mar 07, 2023 3:49 pm

I'd rather not be accused of teaching grandma to suck eggs . . . however, for what it's worth, and based on experience, here goes. First, forget the "easy" way of using paint strippers, of any sort - you will almost certainly regret it. Strip the paint mechanically. you can use hand power, but I have always used a palm-grip electric sander, or a da air sander; the former plugs in the mains, the latter uses a great deal of compressed air. Either way, go easy, but don't be too scared about going through the gelcoat - you will. Try to maintain the sharp edges, and avoid getting flats on the curves. I would kick off with 80 grit paper, then go through 150, 230, 400 and maybe finer. When you are satisfied with the rubbing down, clean well with spirit wipe - more than once - you want all trace of grease and grot removed. I should have said, wash the whole car down with water and then spirit wipe before you start. Cleanliness IS godliness!
When it comes to painting, opinions may vary. My GTM Libra is due for complete re-do this year, and I shall follow the above, following on with an all-over coat of polyester spray filler (U-pol, but there are others). That will be flatted. then a couple of coats of Jawell 2-k, sprayed wet on wet. And hopefully that will be it. I am removing doors, and roof panes and boot lid for separate treatment, but on the Mk 3 you could leave things together, though I'd be inclined to remove panels - more masking needed, though.
I have a pair of Devilbiss FLG 5 guns - the wider for the primer, the 0.4 for finish. These are a bit marginal if used with a "normal" 3 hp 240 volt compressor - run at about 30 psi - but it can be done with a bit of patience, and I use mine for odd panels and patch jobs (people keep bullying my workaday mondeo) , but I have a 7.5 hp three phase comp. which runs off a phase converter. That will do the whole job non stop.
Back in the day ('70s) I sprayed a couple of MGBs, a frog green minivan and a white E-type out in the street (small cul-de-sac) with a burgess airless sprayer, using cellulose. My then neighbours hated me for it, and I wouldn't say it was the way to go today, and cellulose isn't as available as it used to be. Best of luck
cubera

Return to Paint, Detailing, Bodywork and Styling