Tilted installation of dials

Get advice on painting and polishing your Midas, and making those all important repairs to that precious shell! Got an idea on Styling?

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Tilted installation of dials

Postby Hans Efde » Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:10 pm

Not many Midas owners have extra instruments in their dashboard, but if you have this is how I made them tilt towards me. Aftermarket instrument pods are usually designed for the A-pillar or on top of the dashboard. Mine are built into a board above the glove box, so the tuning/styling industry came up with nothing. Standard diameter of instruments is 52mm. In the DIY store I found PVC connector sleeves for 60mm pipes. This sleeve had an internal diameter of 54mm, so perfect.
Because of the tilt I had to cut ellipses in a piece of board. With Coreldraw I made a perfect ellips template in a few minutes. Everything cut to size and shape, trial fitted, and used a hot glue gun to wrap it up in grey vinyl. Glued the pipes into place and cut the excess off. Instruments in place, connected and looks fine to me. Not yet perfect, but can't complain for a few hours work and 7 euros on material. Angle is about 50 degrees.
dials02.jpg
dials02.jpg (52.45 KiB) Viewed 3076 times

dials.jpg
dials.jpg (36.19 KiB) Viewed 3076 times
Hans Efde

Re: Tilted installation of dials

Postby manifold » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:21 pm

Hi Hans,

Very neat little install there. I like it and cheap too ;).

Kind regards,

David
Midas Cars Forum & Facebook Page Founder

Midas Gold Convertible: 1380 steel 16v KAD & 5 sp dog box, Titanium mania, KAD fr/rear callipers, CF Steering

Midas Gold Coupe: 1380 7 port xflow, SC/CR gearbox, Titanium mania, CF Steering & seats.
manifold

Return to Paint, Detailing, Bodywork and Styling