Replacing the exhaust

Get advice on painting and polishing your Midas, and making those all important repairs to that precious shell! Got an idea on Styling?

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Replacing the exhaust

Postby lankyjames » Tue May 25, 2010 9:56 am

The current exhaust on my mk2 midas is blowing around where the Y piece joins the long centre pipe, i believe this is because it goes from a large bore LCB to a skinnier centre pipe, though i havent been able to measure and confirm this, and its been badly welded together...

I have a replacement large bore LCB from my mini i can use, but have no idea what centre pipe to buy that will work with the original back box and exhaust tip which are fine (i want to retain the side exit system)

Does anyone have any tips?

Can i use a reducer at the end of the pipe?

Should i just go out and measure what i have ? :D
lankyjames

Re: Replacing the exhaust

Postby Alan D. » Tue May 25, 2010 11:03 am

Hello James,

There is a guide on Hans's site about fitting an RC40 type exhaust. Alberto who has a Mk2, fitted a system especially purchased from Maniflow, but the centre box appears to large for the tunnel and hangs a little low, in my opinion!

I saw "Jon's" Mk2 at Stoneliegh and he had fitted the RC40 type and it seemed to be very neat and close fitting. But I've not done the job myself! Perhaps some more Mk1 & 2 owners will shout out!

Alan
Alan D.

Postby Stuart » Tue May 25, 2010 11:19 am

This one is pretty neat

http://s800.photobucket.com/home/Midasmad/recentuploads

It used to be owned by Bronzenut who is on the forum, not sure that he comes on the forum much these days though. Having said that I do believe the new owner of the car is on here as well.
Stuart

Postby Jon » Tue May 25, 2010 1:13 pm

James,

As Alan mentioned above, I've fitted a large bore RC40 system from Minispares. I used the centre exit version, but joint the between the centre section and the tail piece is just behind the rear suspension cross beam on the centreline so depending on where yours joins it may fit. They do centre sections with or without a silencer, and it comes with a bend on the front (at least on the mild steel version)to suite a non-LCB down pipe which gives some leeway for adjusting the length when you cut it off to suite your LCB. The dog-leg that clears the gear shift remote also gives plenty of clearance. The whole lot in mild steel was about £110, and it needed no modification other than minor adjustments to length.

I decided to go for the centre exit version for two reasons: one so that when it needs replacing I can get an off-the-shelf replacement, and secondly because I like the idea of making up two symetrical half-width rear undertrays (if I ever get around to it).

I will take some photos and measurements next weekend - I intend to produce an article for the owner's club magazine so it will give me an incentive to withdraw the digit.

Jon
Jon

Postby lankyjames » Tue May 25, 2010 4:19 pm

Thanks for the info Jon,
I had found some photos of your car with the centre exit, it looks good! I'm trying to keep my exhaust tucked into the hole that is already available in the rear valance :)

Yours will definitely be easier to make an under tray for being straight through the middle!
lankyjames

Postby lankyjames » Wed May 26, 2010 1:34 pm

What do you guys think of fitting one of these:

Could copy the exhaust cut out on the right side, with the use of a template and cut the left side of the rear valance to match.

I need to have a centre silencer / twin box system, my old mini was very loud on a straight 2" bore single box exhaust system.
lankyjames

Postby johnnyfixit » Wed May 26, 2010 7:03 pm

worked out ok on my Domino not sure about the clearance on the midas though
johnnyfixit

Postby lankyjames » Wed May 26, 2010 10:40 pm

The only concern i have is the length of the pipes, and the distance apart that the tailpipes are.

Johnny could you measure that for me? Just the distance that the tips are apart, so the centre lines as such?

I'd imagine the silencer box may hang a little low compared to the usual setup, but no lower than Jon's exhaust setup which looks fine to me!
lankyjames

Postby johnnyfixit » Thu May 27, 2010 2:27 pm

centre of each tailpipe measures 750mm apart
johnnyfixit

Postby lankyjames » Thu May 27, 2010 2:42 pm

I'm going to have to get the tape measure out now....
If its not wide enough do you think a small extension pipe could be made to widen the tips from the silencer?

Also how loud do you find it?

Thanks again!
lankyjames

Next

Return to Paint, Detailing, Bodywork and Styling