Q657 WWJ chassis D020197

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Q657 WWJ chassis D020197

Postby chrismahon » Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:35 am

I was the third owner of this blue bronze which had an MG1300 engine on top of a 1275GT box. It was written off in 1993 I think and was rebuilt. The entire front was replaced after the rear suspension beam collapsed on a corner sending me into a telegraph pole at over 30 mph. Couldn't get access to the original body mould as it was at that time in the store room of a garden machinery company. They did manage to supply a new nosecone in black though. I built my own mould and moulded a blue gel and 6 oz layup from it.

All went well until September 1995. My girlfriend borrowed the car and spun off on a bend on the way home destroying the rear end. As I already had a Midas Gold which needed an engine I scrapped the bodyshell, fitted the engine into the Gold and sold all the salvagable bits to club members. The unwanted Mini bits were donated to the Mini owners club.

My memories of it were great in the dry, but when it rained it steamed up because the heater intake ducting dragged road water spray into the vehicle. Very quick though and quite economical but not a patch on a Gold.
chrismahon

Return to Mk 2