Midas Bronze PNV 617Y

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Midas Bronze PNV 617Y

Postby Citizen » Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:11 pm

Hi guys!

I'm new to the forum but Ive always been a bit of a classic car nut - coming out from playing pool with some friends today I spotted this behind a fence in the yard of an old garage:

Midas_Gold_15-10-14.jpg
Midas_Gold_15-10-14.jpg (1.94 MiB) Viewed 8724 times

I had no idea what it was so took a photo, with some research I found that it was a midas bronze, dvla info below:

image.jpg
Dvla info
image.jpg (102.96 KiB) Viewed 8753 times

The dvla also said that it was untaxed at the moment, having last been taxes in 2010. I did a little bit more and found a photo of the car online (http://www.classic-kitcars.com/classic-kitcar-details.php?64) can anyone tell me anything else about this car at all? Never see one before, never even heard of midas before today! All the best guys!
Attachments
image.jpg
Pnv 617y
image.jpg (1.92 MiB) Viewed 8753 times
Last edited by Citizen on Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Citizen

Re: Midas Bronze PNV 617Y

Postby Stuart » Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:23 pm

motor 0783 p01.JPG
motor 0783 p01.JPG (2.48 MiB) Viewed 8745 times
That particular car is quite famous. Check out the Motor magazine articles that can be downloaded here

http://midas.orba-design.com/index.php? ... nze+mk2%2F
Stuart

Postby Citizen » Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:38 pm

Wow so this was Russell Bulgin's former car? That's quite surprising to say the least! Looks like its had a rough time since 1983 though and looks very sad in its current condition - the jury-rigged, two-tone light stalks on the front really spoil the look of the car. Is it the Gold model or is it a Bronze by the way? I've seen it listed under both.

I never said either, but the car was found in Hucknall, Nottinghamshire. I can't say for certain but I believe the photo I found on the kit-car website was taken at the 2008 Stoneleigh kit-car show, which if I'm right is a bit of a distance away from its current resting place. If I've got time before work tomorrow I might pop back up and ask a little about it, there's definitely history here and I'm pretty interested to say the least!
Citizen

Postby Stuart » Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:49 pm

At the time the Midas MK 2 was available they were marketed as Silver and Gold, the latter being an almost complete car like the one Russell built for the Motor magazine article.
The later mk 3 Metro based Midas then became known as the Midas Gold, at the same time the mk 2 gained the Bronze name along with face-lifted bumpers.

Adrian Dodd owned the car when it was photographed at Stoneleigh.

I have no idea why the photos are showing upside down.
Stuart

Postby Citizen » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:13 pm

Thanks for the clarification!

I took the photo and posted it here on my iPhone, I'm guessing that's got something to do with it! I've corrected it now I think :P
Citizen

Postby Stuart » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:00 am

Yes it's the right way now. That car and magazine articles were the main inspiration for me to go onto buying my first Midas, I still own it 25 years later. Rather sadly it is in an even worse state than the Bulgin car.

Good luck if you fancy buying it and returning it to its former glory.
Stuart

Postby mikeeskriett » Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:55 pm

Good to see the old girl again and also good to see it still has the "Thompsons Super Shed" badge on the nose ;-)

The odd thing with the car is that mechanically it was possibly the best maintained Midas out there when Adrian had it despite never having been washed in his ownership. I did feel sorry for it one year while he was on holiday and washed it and painted the bumpers and wheels. I'm trying to remember the exact figure but when it had the new 1380 eco motor he built in it he got something like 63mpg out of it.

From memory it was only sold because lifting engine blocks an gearboxes into the boot was giving Adrian back trouble. It was one of my favourite of Adrians nippy sheds only pipped at the post by the MG powered Metro 310 van.
mikeeskriett

Return to Mk 2