Q558CPE - Photo mystery

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Q558CPE - Photo mystery

Postby ACourtney » Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:59 pm

The other night I was sorting through my valuable archive, or what my wife refers to as my old junk, when I came across a couple of photos.
The photos were taken in the summer of 1985 in the car park of Lopes Hall at Exeter University.

Q558CPE 2.jpg
Q558CPE
Q558CPE 2.jpg (51.93 KiB) Viewed 5024 times

Q558CPE 4.jpg
Midas, Midget and Spitfire
Q558CPE 4.jpg (109.57 KiB) Viewed 5024 times

The Midget in the middle of the second photo was my first car and I seemed to spend most of that summer finding all the faults and fixing them.
The photo must have been taken in June, or early July, as I only had my car down there in the second half of the summer term after finishing my exams.

The owner of the Midas was visiting a Nick Bailey, who I think came from Surrey, or Sussex. I remember having a conversation with the owner about the car and seem to recall that the engine was quite tuned up, but apart from those details I don't remember much more.

Anyone out there know any more about the car? Is it still around?
ACourtney

Re: Q558CPE - Photo mystery

Postby Geoff Butcher » Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:11 pm

I was at Exeter from 65 to 68 but sadly spent very little time in Lopes Hall! I had a Lambretta in my first year, then an Austin A35, after once riding home to Essex in the pouring rain - anything with a roof would do - then got a Triumph TR3. I'd like to thank Essex Education Authority for their full grant of £360 which helped to start me on my motoring career! 8-)

Edit: According to the DVLA that Midas is on SORN, MoT expired in 2008
Geoff
Geoff Butcher

Postby ACourtney » Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:29 pm

Lopes Hall would have been an all female hall in your day, but it was mixed by the 1980s. They put us blokes on the ground floor to deter the peeping toms!

I had been impressed by the Midas when visiting kit car shows in the early 80s, but couldn't afford one back then. My Midget cost the grand sum of £1200 back then and by the time I had got it all sorted it had wiped out all my savings - that's how I learned that MG stands for Money Gobbler.
ACourtney

Postby kelvink » Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:54 pm

It's a Guildford area registration and I vaguely remember there being a white Midas about from time to time. It's not far from my old Spartan's reg which I registered at Guildford

Q 746 CPE
kelvink

Return to Mk 2