ABC 586Y - Alive!

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Re: ABC 586Y - Alive-ish

Postby mikeeskriett » Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:51 pm

Hi,

That's one of the issues I'm trying to tackle. The twin point heater has better ducting for the floor so hopefully it'll improve matters a bit and with any luck the fan and casing will be more efficient.

I dragged the convertible out today for a little hoon down to Duxford nice and precise to drive compared to the Rangey!!

Cheers,

Mike
mikeeskriett

Postby Geoff Butcher » Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:56 pm

Stuart wrote:The biggest problem with the Mini heater was the way it dumped the heat in the drivers lap and left your passenger and your feet freezing cold

Unlike the Metro heater which leaves everything cold!
Geoff
Geoff Butcher

Postby Stuart » Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:01 pm

very true, when I moved up to a mk3 I somehow thought everything would be better, my mk3 ran red hot in the summer but still left me freezing in the winter.
Stuart

Postby mikeeskriett » Sun May 08, 2011 3:49 pm

Finally got some time on the Bronze this weekend to look at what remains of the interior which to be honest was not a lot.

This is the starting point:

The retrim is a bit of a budget job as funds are not exactly running over at the minute but it should look presentable with any luck. I've gone for MGF leather seats as MX5 ones seemed to be £50-75 more expensive. I picked up some carpet and Vinyl at Stoneleigh so the colour scheme is Lightstone Beige seats with grey piping and dark blue carpet.

I test fitted the seats today and did the basic fitting of the carpet. The tunnel in the centre of the car will require more work as the carpet just doesnt lay right due to the changes in height of the tunnel.

The seats feel a little high so a little more bracket removal on the runners may be required.

The next job is to trim the sides which will be painful as the carpet won't be edged around the quarterlights, the door openings aren't as bad because most modern car rubbers has an additional channel for the trim so I'll give that a bash. The door panels and dash shouldn't be so bad to do but I need some lightstone vinyl before I can have a go at that.

cheers,

Mike
mikeeskriett

Postby Geoff Butcher » Sun May 08, 2011 8:19 pm

Well, Mike when it's in that state you can console yourself with the thought that things can only get better!. Those seats look in good nick - may I ask how much you had to pay for them? I've been looking for a pair of MX5 or MGF seats but they generally have wear in the same place as mine, or cost about half what my car is worth. An unkind person might say I've got that the wrong way round... :oops:
Geoff
Geoff Butcher

Postby mikeeskriett » Sun May 08, 2011 9:21 pm

Hi,

I picked up two pairs both were £120 a pair from fleabay. The cream seats were incredibly grubby but have come up quite welll but they do have a bit of wear on what was the drivers side. The advantage is that to fit them in a midas they are round the opposite way to the MGF so the drivers side is on the passenger side.

£20 a pair for cloth
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MGF-TF-seats-/150602285668?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2310988264

Combine these two....
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MGF-and-Trophy-Beige-Leather-Seat-Cover-NEW-R35-/200584957300?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2eb3cb8d74
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MGF-CREAM-LEATHER-SEATS-MGF-TF-SPARES-/400214420505?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item5d2ea36c19

Cheers,

Mike
mikeeskriett

Postby manifold » Sun May 08, 2011 10:46 pm

I think your seats look quite swish....and will brighten up the interior in the bronze and make it look bigger in that colour.

I considered getting some MGF seats for the coupe before I got the tillets. Nice and narrow(ish). Good choice!

D
Midas Cars Forum & Facebook Page Founder

Midas Gold Convertible: 1380 steel 16v KAD & 5 sp dog box, Titanium mania, KAD fr/rear callipers, CF Steering

Midas Gold Coupe: 1380 7 port xflow, SC/CR gearbox, Titanium mania, CF Steering & seats.
manifold

Postby mikeeskriett » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:07 pm

Finally had an opportunity to start the parts search for the Mk2 last week and looks like I now have everything bar the battery and a headlamp to get it back on the road. After a year trapped at the bottom of the drive by a small pile of Land Rover Axles it started first time and everything worked as it should :-)

I've managed to get the rain channel clear and the rotten spare wheel bolt cut out I just need to glass a new stainless one in it's place.
mikeeskriett

Postby mikeeskriett » Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:36 pm

A brief update, finally got a replacement beam fitted to the back of the car. The old one was a corker one side was so bad it didn't need unbolting to remove it, it's by far and away the worst I've seen.

Quite a busy week this week with a late Metro wiring loom fitted, beam fitted and the MPI twin speed heater test fitted. A bit more wiring to convert the Metro dash loom to use the MGF pod that's fitted and some extra gauges tomorrow and that leaves all the front end mountings and the brakes for the MOT.
Attachments
DSC_0941.jpg
DSC_0941.jpg (673.02 KiB) Viewed 5663 times
DSC_0942.jpg
DSC_0942.jpg (638.38 KiB) Viewed 5663 times
DSC_0939.jpg
DSC_0939.jpg (858.31 KiB) Viewed 5663 times
mikeeskriett

Postby goldeneye » Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:52 pm

Wow! that's a bad one!
Midas Mk II