ABC 586Y - Alive!

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

ABC 586Y - Alive!

Postby mikeeskriett » Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:02 am

Hi,

Anyone seen this one, Blue Mk2 1275. Won the best in show 3 years running and then disappeared, was 90% done when I sold it though the interior needed a refit. Quite distinctive as it had an MGF instument pack, heater controller, mk1 metro wiring and Mk3 Cavalier switch gear.

Just curious as selling it wasn't the plan but life got in the way!!

Cheers,

Mike
Last edited by mikeeskriett on Tue May 06, 2014 12:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mikeeskriett

Re: ABC 586Y - Alive-ish with pics

Postby mikeeskriett » Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:03 pm

Hi folks,

Sorry for the lack of updates been a bit of rough month so not been in a position to post.

The car has arrived via my local friendly tow service their rig was slight overkill for a Midas as they usually haul dead Land Rovers about!!

The old girl is in pretty rough shape compared to the last time I saw it but I'm quite sure she'll scrub up well as it's nowhere near as bad as when I pulled it out of a barn in Newark about 12 or so years ago. Jobs so far have been to pop the sunroof out and clean the moss out of the rubber as it had been left partly open so had leaked quite badly and grown a fair amount. I've also fixed the tailgate lock and and inner door handle as neither was operational. The good news is that it starts, runs, stops and steers though the beam is toast. Planning for a MOT in time for Newark depending on whether I can source a beam or have to have one fabbed.

First time round...

Now...

The fleet...
mikeeskriett

Re: ABC 586Y - Alive-ish

Postby Stuart » Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:44 pm

Doesn't look bad at all. Now you can park it under the Range Rover to keep it dry :P
Stuart

Postby mikeeskriett » Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:32 pm

Hi all,

A minor update on progress with the bronze. I've dug a little deeper today and discovered some tuning and electrical gremlins to add to the list. So for today I've swapped the alternator which was struggling to make 12 volts at best with a spare from the Metro donor I had for the Gold so now at least it charges properly. I've also fixed the problem temperature gauge which was thankfully only a duff connection. Also fixed the panel lights and got the seat runners moving again which will hopefully stay moving now I've got the car water tight. Taking a AC Dodd-esque approach to the ignition system consumables and will be changing the whole lot for new parts as it has a mixture of spark plugs etc so is running pretty rough when cold. This will enable it to be moved easily to get the bins out!!!

I've also attacked the bloom on the paint to see if it will come back to the bright blue i remember from the greeny blue it has grown into I've done half the nose and the difference is encouraging.

Cheers,

Mike
mikeeskriett

Postby Geoff Butcher » Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:02 pm

mikeeskriett wrote:Hi all,
now I've got the car water tight.
Cheers,

Mike

It's a miracle! Would you mind coming round to have a look at mine? :lol:
Geoff
Geoff Butcher

Postby mikeeskriett » Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:59 pm

Hi,

OK I may have spoken too soon about the leaks as the rear lights were leaking nicely into the boot. I've popped the lights out and temporarily fixed the problem with some sealant, bit of bodge but it'll do until I can obtain some new gaskets from Rimmer Bros to do the job properly. I've got to the bottom of the curious running and immensely petrol sodden smell when running. It seems someone has been tinkering with the old girl and had been playing with the carb. The oil breather and fuel overflow pipes were reversed and the carb to manifold gasket was made at home and not really doing much. Rather than mess around only to discover more problems I just whipped off the carb and fitted a spare from the shed and now it runs a treat but wants the idle etc setting properly, it'll do for now as it's only being dragged up from the bottom of the drive. I changed the steering wheel for one which isn't sprouting a new species of life so I now no longer need to check the validity of my tetnus shot before moving it.

Other than that more bloom removal from the paint and replacement of chopped of earth wires.

I think I have a plan for the beam so a long weekend down south for some proper work will be had in the new year.

Cheers,

Mike
mikeeskriett

Postby Geoff Butcher » Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:08 pm

mikeeskriett wrote:I think I have a plan for the beam so a long weekend down south for some proper work will be had in the new year.
Mike

Does it involve titanium? :D
Geoff
Geoff Butcher

Postby Stuart » Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:12 pm

If it does, we have a link on the forum to a supplier ;)

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=429
Stuart

Postby mikeeskriett » Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:07 pm

I wish, sadly the budget won't quite stretch to shiny titanium at the minute :( . I'm saving my pennies for two 1380 short blocks to give the Bronze & Gold a bit of poke. It'll be a the Charlie Dodd style heavy duty steel beam I'll be cutting and drilling and AC Dodd will be doing the sticking together all being well.

I've just bought a twin point cooper heater which will be interesting to see if it is an improvement being a newer design and a two speed unit. The unit in the car that I modded to use a moden cable system years ago has not aged well it seems so I'll strip that out and go back towards the standard fit.

The christmas list is growing ever longer 8-)

Cheers,

Mike
mikeeskriett

Postby Stuart » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:25 am

The biggest problem with the Mini heater was the way it dumped the heat in the drivers lap and left your passenger and your feet freezing cold
Stuart

Next

Return to Mk 2