Q410HPW - A Real Timelord - Keeps On Regenerating

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Re: Q410HPW - A Real Timelord - Keeps On Regenerating

Postby DavidL » Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:28 pm

Just had a look under the back of my car, and I can now see where the tank would conflict with Hydragas units. As my tank is already showing signs of rust at those bottom corners, it looks like a new tank would be a good idea in any case.

However, seeing as it needs to be cut and shut to clear the spheres, I might try to increase the capacity at the same time - it looks like it could be extended rearwards, certainly on the left, and possibly elsewhere as well. I'm not after a massive increase since that means it would mean increased weight on the tank mounts, but an extra gallon might be worthwhile having.

But am I just being greedy? ;)
DavidL

Re: Q410HPW - A Real Timelord - Keeps On Regenerating

Postby Rich » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:44 am

I modded my first tank with the lump of wood and a hammer technique to clear the hydragas, within a few years the folds created by the bashing had rusted through and I had to cut out the damaged areas and inlet sections of steel. Shortly afterwards I went to springs which made it all a bit irrelevant as a standard unmodified tank would then fit in there.

The problem I had with the welded repairs, apart from the extensive prep needed to weld a tank safely, was the difficulty in sealing MIG welds against petrol. Despite using Frosts tank seal the tank still leaked from one of the welds making me think the new Protech damper on that corner was leaking.. I've now bought a new tank that will be getting a coat of epoxy as part of the ongoing repaint of my car.

The standard rear undertray won't fit a hydrolastic car incidentally, I've tried!
Rich

Previous

Return to Mk 3 Coupe