Q410HPW - A Real Timelord - Keeps On Regenerating

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Q410HPW - A Real Timelord - Keeps On Regenerating

Postby AndyBeeson » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:00 pm

Hi,
I purchased the 45 hour kit from Corby in 1988, on the road by June 1989.
1275cc bog standard not MG engine lasted about 25000 miles then an oil seal went on the A1 and no more engine.
Another used engine from a Rover dealer and another 1000 miles later it was in need of another engine. Should have gone for a factory recon but did I learn, no!
Some recommended cowboys reconned the engine and within 6 months, yes I needed another engine. The AA loved me that year (twice off the A1 and once on the Peterborough ring road plus hire cars!)
Then I went to a local garage who helped me with the original build (they came and fitted the original engine that came with the kit as I couldn`t lift it myself) and the had a 998cc engine (used but only about 30000 miles use) and that lasted 10 years and had wonderful fuel economy.
In 2001 Charlie Dodd fitted an unleaded 1275cc engine (again had done around 30000 miles) which has been a good engine.
The car has been maintained and repaired over the years.
5 years ago it developed an electrical fault and the wiring burnt out one evening while in Norwich (Green Flag came to the rescue that time).
My local garage fixed the wiring and I bought a Peugeot 306 as a cheap run-a-round. So the Midas wasn`t used as much the last few years, then the gearbox went a day after I had it MOT`d (passed first time too) and had just taxed it for 12 months. I kept it taxed as an incentive to get it on the road but 18 months later it is still in need of a gearbox. It didn`t help with me having a cycling accident last July and fracturing my skull, in the last few months I haven`t been able to do so much.
I don`t have the Peugeot now, passed on to brother-in-law but have the use of my dad`s nice comfy Citroen Xantia.
I`m hoping this year sooner rather than later I`ll get the gearbox sorted, I may even change the engine and gearbox together (with petrol so high I may go back to 998cc)
Talking of comfort, I had my Midas converted back to rear hydragas by the Redditch factory after many replacement Spax units (they didn`t last 5 minutes at least not on Norfolk roads). The Hydragas gives a much better ride, more comfort and better handling than I had with the Spax units. I replaced the original brackets for the coil springs with ones from the GTM factory (much better) but the Hydragas I think is much more robust and fine for everyday road use.
Also I have replace the seats with ones from a Peugeot 205 (not GTI - pity), I think the model down from the GTI as they look a bit sporty. They are very comfy and match the interior nicely. The seats are on the Peugeot runners and frames so they tilt forwards and slide properly too. They just squeeze in nicely and the seat belt is OK too. The one problem I have with them is they are so comfy I had a guest make a little nest in the passenger seat this winter and it has shredded a bit of the seat.
Once the gearbox is sorted I`ll get the seats sorted.
Hope to be on the road soon.
Andrew.
AndyBeeson

Re: Q410HPW - A Real Timelord - Keeps On Regenerating

Postby Geoff Butcher » Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:16 pm

AndyBeeson wrote:Talking of comfort, I had my Midas converted back to rear hydragas by the Redditch factory after many replacement Spax units (they didn`t last 5 minutes at least not on Norfolk roads).

A lot of people speak ill of Spax, but mine had them on the back when I bought it about 10 years ago, since when I've done around 150,000 miles and they're still OK. Tempting fate or what? :roll:
Geoff
Geoff Butcher

Postby AndyBeeson » Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:59 pm

Hi,
The first set of Spax I had lasted 2 years on the rear, I remember because I got the new ones from the Rotherham factory or the garage did who where doing the MOT at the time. These lasted longer but were replaced again and so were the front ones. Eventually I went for the Hydragas rear end and not looked back. The front dampers I eventually removed altogether as they stopped working and just kept rattling. Some front hydragas units have built in dampers anyway from what I understand and don`t always need extra dampers. The front Hydragas units are the originals that came with the car and have outlasted the all the Spax units. Maybe I`ve been lucky. The original rear brackets for the coil springs and dampers were a real design flaw, good idea but poorly designed though later other people improved on them.
With the hydragas the car rides better and hasn`t scraped the rear wheels on the arches once. With the dampers I often used to hear the rear wheels scrape the arches on bumpy roads or hump back bridges especially with any load on.
Yes it would be nice to have a good alternative to hydragas so you don`t need to constantly keep pumping them up. I think its swings and round-a-bouts really.
Now I wonder if the suspension from my dad`s Xantia could be put on a Midas? What fun I could have playing with the ride height........
Andrew.
AndyBeeson

Postby AndyBeeson » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:29 am

Hi,
Haven`t been on the site for a while but I`ve now got my Gold Coupe up and running with new gearbox, well a reconditioned one. Lots of new parts for steering and ball joints and a few other little bits. All MOT`d & taxed. I`m just having new front flexable brake hoses and master cylinder and servo and a heater matrix radiator. Hopefully it should all be ready this week. I have driven it breifly and feels great to be back in it.
I need to sort out the windscreen wiper unit as the arms don`t stop at the proper rest position, instead stopping half way up the screen. Then just sort the cosmetics out. Hadn`t realised it had been standing for 5 years, time flies! It needed 3 new tyres as a result.
The door seals need replacing, passenger side the worst. I may get some new seats sometime too, as the Peugeot 205 seats currently in (very comfy and yes the are on the Peogeot runners and tilt forward too) are looking a little tatty thanks mainly to a mouse that got in there and chewed a hold in the passenger seat, the good seat! I had seen som Peogeot 205 GTI leather seats for £220 on Ebay which looked very nice but just at the wrong time after having spent much on getting it on the road.
I`m hoping to take it to the Stoneleigh show in May all being well and hopefully the factory open day.
Hopefully it`ll be good for another 200000 miles B-)
AndyBeeson

Postby DavidL » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:33 am

Interesting to hear of a working Hydragas REAR setup on a Midas.

I will be removing the rusty rear GAZ dampers from mine, but the bottom brackets don't want to let me remove the bolts...

It's something I have considered, since I have a very good rear Metro subframe to replace the rusty one that's on mine. However, as far as I'm aware, it would prevent me fitting the rear undertray without a bit of hacksaw modification. Do you have a rear undertray on yours, Andy?
DavidL

Postby AndyBeeson » Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:09 am

Hi,
I don`t have any under trays on my car, its just standard. I used to want undertrays at one time though not sure how much difference they actually make. If you do fit the rear hydragas then you`ll need to modify the fuel tank. A local garage made up a tank from a new Metro tank by cutting and welding as the previous factory at Reddich fitted the hydragas with rear subframe and made a real bodge of it just before they went bust. They had tried to modify the fuel tank by hammering it near where the hydragas units are so as to allow space for the units to fit. As a result they had punctured the tank and I only found that out when I returned home after picking up the car and had filled the tank full at Reddich! What a bunch of idiots they were, no wonder they went under. They had done further bodging and damage to the car too which was appalling for the factory. I never got anything from them in compensation either.
Anyway don`t be put off fitting hydragas on the rear, it can always be converted back. Just make sure that when you modify the fuel tank you don`t puncture it. It may be recommended to find another tank first and modify that. It is recommended to fill a used tank up with water first so there aren`t any vapours that could ignite if you dent in the tank. A bit of a hassel but the end result is a nice ride and I think it holds the road better and has a stronger susspension. Certainly on Norfolk roads it feels better. The rear suspension doeasn`t need to be as stiff as the front. The rear wheels haven`t hit the rear archers as they often did with the Spax and modified brackets. I can go over our local hump back bridge with confidence now.
Of course if you do refit the rear tray after modifying it I don`t know how this would impact on the effectiveness of the rear tray. May be some here may know.
I`d been for a run today to Walsingham down some Norfolk back roads and the car wasn`t uncomfortable at all, I had an 88 year old lady with me too! (My sister`s mother-in-law). The Peugeot 205 seats helped too, they are more comfy than my dad`s Picaso seats!
Hope you get on OK with your modifications.
Andy.
AndyBeeson

Postby DavidL » Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:58 am

I'm still undecided about which way to go with the suspension on mine. I believe Mike Perkins has had success with it, doing it the way Issigonis originally wanted to fit it, interconnected front to rear but not side to side, and that's what I'd thought of doing.

I'm surprised there's conflict with the fuel tank though. Since all the parts are ex-Metro, I had just assumed everything was laid out as the Metro was. I haven't looked at a Metro's underside for over 30 years...
DavidL

Postby Stuart » Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:02 pm

On the Metro the petrol tank is forward of the rear subframe under the back seat, on the Midas it is behind the main body of the subframe.
Stuart

Postby DavidL » Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:06 pm

Stuart wrote:On the Metro the petrol tank is forward of the rear subframe under the back seat, on the Midas it is behind the main body of the subframe.

Thanks Stuart. Awkward...
DavidL

Postby mikeeskriett » Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:26 pm

The problem with Spax tended to be whether you had the proper Midas spec units or ones intended for a Mini if memory serves the standard Mini ones have a different stroke length so top out on a Midas causing the units to fail earlier than expected.

Rear Hydragas is great for motorway cruising not so good on the twisties though putting the required dents in the petrol tank requires brave boots.

Good to hear your car is heading back on the road I helped Charlie load it up when it went for it's new engine, one heck of a trip home the van caught light on the way thankfully I put it out without too much damage done.

Cheers,

Mike
mikeeskriett

Next

Return to Mk 3 Coupe