Q327 VOE registered 1988

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Q327 VOE registered 1988

Postby chrismahon » Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:22 pm

Burgundy Gold chassis H3011069 is still very much alive. I am the second owner and bought it in 1991 having seen several others before. It was by far far and away the best built of the ones I viewed. It was built by a Rover Engineer who worked at Longbridge. All the component parts were brand new, straight off the Metro track at cost price (perk of the job) with the exception of the engine which was a 1400 genuine Cooper S rolling roaded at 85 bhp to the wheels. It was incredibly fast even with a 2.95 diff and only once effortlessly clocked 120mph (6000 rpm in 4th). Pity I lost my job in 1995 and sold the engine to a Mini racing chap for much needed cash.

Subsequently it was fitted with an MG1300 engine on a 1275GT box (Aldon distributor and head I think) taken from my written off Bronze.

It moved last week for the first time in years after someone expressed an interest in it. The MOT ran out in 2000 and then it sat in a carport. It had a minor side bump from a girl on a Motorbike shortly before, resulting in a new front subframe and nosecone and a cosmetic repair to o/s wing, expertly done I add. I bought a 'too cheap to refuse' Mondeo shortly afterwards, moved job, bought a house and got married. Just never got round to re-MOTing it. I changed the engine oil before doing anything, expecting a few minor problems. Got 120psi compression on all of the cylinders and then amazingly it started first turn of the key on the old petrol. Needs attention to brakes obviously and there is a hole in the tailpipe. Everything else works fine it appears, just as it did 11 years earlier.

Too busy building chicken coops and stuff to spend any more time on it now and intend to emigrate in 14 months anyway. So it will appear for sale shortly after I take some photos and my wife downloads them. Have some fond memories so it will be missed, but it deserves a better home with someone who will look after it properly.
chrismahon

Re: Q327 VOE registered 1988

Postby Geoff Butcher » Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:16 pm

chrismahon wrote:
It had a minor side bump from a girl on a Motorbike

Not Marianne Faithful, was it? :P
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErRgBfuvDFk
Geoff
Geoff Butcher

Return to Mk 3 Coupe