How to get your Midas on the road again....Cheat!

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Re: How to get your Midas on the road again....Cheat!

Postby kelvink » Wed May 21, 2014 10:03 am

I can assure you a bit of polish certainly won't fix the gel coat. I'll take some photos sometime that show all the faults... Micro-cracking, blisters, impact crazing the list goes on and on the UV chalking is the least of it's problems
kelvink

Postby kelvink » Fri May 23, 2014 9:35 pm

OK so here are some photos of the wonderful shiny gel coat on my Gold Coupe....

A bit more than some spit and polish required unfortunately
kelvink

How to get your Midas on the road again....Cheat!

Postby manifold » Sat May 24, 2014 11:37 am

Might need drying out in a kiln for a bit to drive out the moisture, put a tramex /sovereign moisture meter on it. should be under 15 for tramex and 5 for sovereign before repainting.
Midas Cars Forum & Facebook Page Founder

Midas Gold Convertible: 1380 steel 16v KAD & 5 sp dog box, Titanium mania, KAD fr/rear callipers, CF Steering

Midas Gold Coupe: 1380 7 port xflow, SC/CR gearbox, Titanium mania, CF Steering & seats.
manifold

Postby b1zbaz » Sat May 24, 2014 6:15 pm

I was bidding on this car years ago before I bought mine I went all the way up to £1000
b1zbaz

Postby kelvink » Wed May 28, 2014 9:21 pm

Well I'm very pleasantly surprised at my MOT failure on this car. Basically the 2 fails were emissions and insufficient water from the drivers side screen washer jet

Oh and a fair few advisories but I'm rather amazed. Now the emissions need looking into and could be bad but then again could be relatively simple. I've done nothing to the car at all yet as I figured there was so much I'm of the opinion needs doing I may as well get a list of priorities done by the 'professional authorities' and start from there.

So I may be on the road rather sooner than I had anticipated :shock: Still one heck of a lot of work to do on the car all the same
kelvink

Postby Stuart » Wed May 28, 2014 9:38 pm

It could be even quicker. Emissions test is a visual test only on a kit car.

Vehicles to be tested

In-use exhaust emissions testing is applied to all petrol and gas-powered vehicles
with four or more wheels.

The test does not apply to vehicles fitted with 2-stroke engines.

The following types of vehicle will be considered as first used before 1 August 1975
(Visual Test):

Wankel rotary engined vehicles first used before 1 August 1987.

All kit-cars and amateur built vehicles first used before 1 August 1998.

1.1 Types of test

The emissions test to which a vehicle is subject will depend upon its date of first use
(i.e. date of registration or date of manufacture if used abroad before first registration
in the UK) as follows:

For vehicles first used before 1 August 1975 a visual test will be applied.

For vehicles first used on or after 1 August 1975 a metered test will be applied.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... dition.pdf
Stuart

Postby kelvink » Wed May 28, 2014 10:14 pm

It's a Midas Gold which is Metro based so it's in the metered category. Like I say I've done nothing so far to the car and the engine runs rough so to kick off with it's check the HT leads, plugs, points and timing. All of which I used to do many years ago on a fairly regular basis to good old fashioned analogue cars I used to own before the advent of Fuel Injection and electronic ignitions etc etc

Now where's my old strobe light gawn.........
kelvink

Postby Stuart » Thu May 29, 2014 10:29 am

kelvink wrote:It's a Midas Gold which is Metro based so it's in the metered category.

How does that not make it a Kit car and therefore only requiring a visual emission test?

Of course that isn't to say you shouldn't do a service and get it running well.
Stuart

Postby kelvink » Thu May 29, 2014 6:56 pm

Now I'm beginning to question things....

My previous kits have each been classed as pre 72 :D so I didn't have to pass emissions though I always made sure they ran nice and cleanly so as to get best performance and efficiency from them. When I got the results from the MOT on this Midas I have to say my first thoughts were like you that I thought they were exempt. None the less this was an MOT test centre doing MOTs day in day out and they recognised it as a Midas Gold immediately. I was fully expecting a stack of fails so was pretty chuffed at the short list of things to do.

From the info posted above it says... "For vehicles first used on or after 1 August 1975 a metered test will be applied." fair enough I thought. So now reading the above I'm not at all sure what the situation is. I think I need to see the whole section and not an extract. weather or not it should be metered or just a visual, the car runs rough and I doubt it's running on all four cylinders it's certainly not running cleanly So I will be doing the ignition and carb anyway plus oil and filter changes.

Anyone else know, do kit's require emissions testing if they are pre 1998? I'm going to putting a newer engine in it at some point in the near future anyway so I'm not too bothered by it anyway.
kelvink

Postby Stuart » Thu May 29, 2014 7:09 pm

The link to the source is in my post above.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... dition.pdf

I remember my MOT tester testing the emissions on my A-plate Midas, I told him I thought it was a visual test, but it scraped through any way.
Stuart

PreviousNext

Return to Mk 3 Coupe