Owners (5): Latest David Manifold, Peter J Hulley (Dukinfield),
Colour: VW Pearl Blue
Laid down: 1986
Completed: October 1986
Engine: 8v 1380cc
Chassis #: SA9AK6508G3011023
Factory produced: Midas Original Factory
Midas Cars Forum & Facebook Page Founder

Midas Gold Convertible: 1380 steel 16v KAD & 5 sp dog box, Titanium mania, KAD fr/rear callipers, CF Steering

Midas Gold Coupe: 1380 7 port xflow, SC/CR gearbox, Titanium mania, CF Steering & seats.
manifold

Re: Q764 KFL - Live

Postby Dalhalvaig » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:32 pm

Hi

Amazed to find this thread. I build this car back in 1986. I found pictures of it in Flickr. You've probably seen them but here's the link anyway.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/midasracer ... otostream/

I used a smashed MG Metro as the donor vehicle. It was A reg as I recall. I needed to change the front and rear subframes too as they'd been damaged in the accident. I used the MG steering wheel, and fitted Cobra highback fabric covered seats. The pattern was a bit like the original XR3 pattern.

Once the car was up and running I realised that there was something amiss in the gearbox, whining noises in third and fourth as I recall, so had the gearbox reconditioned and at the same time had a 2.9 diff put in in place of the 3.44. It was a bit like having a 5 speed box with no first, but since the car was so light it was no problem. I also fitted Lumenition ignition as the Ducellier distributor was a pain to set. The other mod I did was to fit nylatron bushed in the front suspension lower arms and for the anti roll bar. These gave you more negative camber, which made the car great fun on roundabouts. Latterly there was some problem with the engine or gearbox and so I sourced another complete unit from a scrap yard and swapped that in. That would have been 1990 or 1991. Can't remember what the problem was, but I was then back to a 3.44 diff.

One thing the factory offered that I had done was to have 4 nuts bonded into the roof to allow a roof rack to be fitted. Never used them.

The other 'fun' thing I had was 100W bulbs in the driving lamps. Amazing lighting.

So, it was built in Peterborough, lived in Newcastle-upon-Tyne for 4 years, then Bedford for about 9 months.

It cost about £5000 to build all in, and I sold it nearly 6 years on for £2000 - not bad in real world terms, although in 1986 £5000 would have got you a 1970 Lotus Elan S4...

It was my daily drive from October 1986 to Jan 1992 when I bought a 1990 Lotus Elan. Can't remember the mileages but seem to recall having it from about 30,000 to 82,000 on the speedo.

Main problem I had was that the colour faded badly. Also being an early car it had to go back to have the top front suspension mounting points refibreglassed.

I sold it in May 1992 to a colleague in Sunderland area. I'll send you his name if you PM me. I'm not sure how long he had it or who he sold it on to.

If you're interested I can send some scanned pics of the car back then.

Anyway great to see it is still around

David
Dalhalvaig

Postby manifold » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:17 pm

Hello. Nice to see a write up from a previous owner of my car. It's great to see history of a car. How many cars can you do that with? Maybe there should be a website with timelines for cars LOL.

The Coupe is currently laid up at the moment having some time off the road.

I saw those big head nuts bonded into the roof. I had them removed before she was resprayed as they were rusted up. I never saw the factory roof rack on a Midas. Has anyone seen one.

Yes it would be great to see some old pictures of your/my car. Please put them up on photobucket or something....or on James site.

As you may have read, it has had a few mods done since then. Resprayed as the blue was faded as you said...changed the suspension and put a 1380 with a 7 port head on it. Goes like a train.

I noticed that the inner door cards had David Cameron (not the PM :D ) written on them. Is that you?

All the best,

David
Midas Cars Forum & Facebook Page Founder

Midas Gold Convertible: 1380 steel 16v KAD & 5 sp dog box, Titanium mania, KAD fr/rear callipers, CF Steering

Midas Gold Coupe: 1380 7 port xflow, SC/CR gearbox, Titanium mania, CF Steering & seats.
manifold

Postby Dalhalvaig » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:58 pm

Yeah, DC is me...

Just been having a look through the website and came on Colin Spencer's name. Is he still involved? I have soem of the original That Golden Touch mags which used to include a register of owners. It may be a good starting point for owners searching out the origins of their cars. Colin may still have them or I could copy them and send them,

I'm away on business just now, but will try to get the pics scanned soon.

I don't think Midas offered a roof rack, just the fixing. I think that they just expected you to get some square tube and bolt through the tube to the roof.

DC
Dalhalvaig

Postby Jon » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:25 pm

When I was ordering my Mk3 in the autumn of '88 I specified the roof fixings, and at that time Harold offered a ski rack but had nothing suitable for a kayak. He offered to make something for me, but the quoted price was prohibitive. I subsequently made my own, which worked fine. I used plastic number plate bolts as plugs when not using the rack, and had no problems with corrosion.
Jon

Postby davidj » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:10 pm

Reply from the Midas Owners Club

Having been sorting out old documents from the late Jon Evans we have found some copies of the old "Golden Touch Member and Car Supplements- 1994." On page 10 appears Q764KFL with the following details.- Midas Mk 3 Coupe 3011023 - Q764KFL - Navy Blue - 1986 - 1275cc - 506 - Ian Davenport.

I hope this is a help. If you want to know anything try asking the Midas Owners Club or better still join the club first, it only costs £ 20 per year for four joint magazines ( with the Mini Marcos Club ) and access to a wealth of information and experience.

Regards to all David Johnson.
davidj

Postby Dalhalvaig » Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:20 pm

Looks like Ian Davenport would be the 3rd owner. That should complete the owner info for the car
Dalhalvaig

Return to Mk 3 Coupe