Holy Midas

May contain mild smut, nonsense and innuendo

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Holy Midas

Postby Hans Efde » Thu May 07, 2009 9:26 pm

All catholic crying statue worshippers, eat your heart out! My Midas ran into some technical problems on the highway:

broken down.jpg
broken down.jpg (94.41 KiB) Viewed 4686 times

When we got out we noticed that my Midas was crying black tears. Don't believe me? Here's the evidence:

tears in my eyes.jpg
tears in my eyes.jpg (61.66 KiB) Viewed 4717 times

Pretty spooky eh? Who says cars don't have souls? Well, my Midas has!
Hans Efde

Re: Holy Midas

Postby manifold » Thu May 07, 2009 10:03 pm

what brought it to your attention first Hans?

Loss of oil pressure or burning oil smoke?
Midas Cars Forum & Facebook Page Founder

Midas Gold Convertible: 1380 steel 16v KAD & 5 sp dog box, Titanium mania, KAD fr/rear callipers, CF Steering

Midas Gold Coupe: 1380 7 port xflow, SC/CR gearbox, Titanium mania, CF Steering & seats.
manifold

Postby Hans Efde » Thu May 07, 2009 10:50 pm

No it was Ed. Who was driving in front of me.... I was happily cruising, not watching my dials (also no low press light) when I smelled something. I thought it was Ed's car but it looked okay in front of me. Then he suddenly drove to the side of the road. When I got out he said I was trailing a big white cloud of smoke. Then I noticed oil everywhere and it seemed a good idea to stop the engine :oops: . By that time it had pumped out 4 litres of oil :roll: . When Ed hadn't been driving with me I suppose I would have killed the engine or at least destroyed the turbo.
Hans Efde

Postby manifold » Thu May 07, 2009 11:20 pm

sugar......thats the problem with straight cut boxes.... you wouldnt have noticed the engine sound change either as the oil level gets low like you would with quieter helical gears.

My dash comes up with the OPA (Oil Pressure Alarm) overriding the speed indicator when the pressure drops.

if you lost 4 litres, you were very lucky.

Midas Gold Convertible: 1380 steel 16v KAD & 5 sp dog box, Titanium mania, KAD fr/rear callipers, CF Steering

Midas Gold Coupe: 1380 7 port xflow, SC/CR gearbox, Titanium mania, CF Steering & seats.
manifold

Postby Hans Efde » Fri May 08, 2009 8:55 am

That's an interesting feature David. But can you set the alarm with a speed/oil pressure combination? The oil pressure range is from 20 psi in idle to 50/40 psi on the move (cold/warm). The oil pressure light switches on at about 10 psi I presume. If you set your alarm to 20 psi it may come on at idle. But you don't want 20 psi on the highway. I think I had 20 psi during the oi leak. So at speeds over 40 mph your alarm should be at least 30 psi and at idle 10/15 psi. Can you insert that? Else it won't save your engine.
Cheers, Hans
Hans Efde

Postby manifold » Fri May 08, 2009 2:18 pm

The alarm can be set as low or as high as you want as its all configurable in software. You can do the same for water temperature (WTA) and Fuel levels too (FLA). As to whether you can do it relating to engine revs thats not on the option list. It would be a rather clever system to do that and I see your point. :)

I had a situation where I had not monitored my oil level for a while though and the OPA alarm came on (so must have dropped to under 15 psi momentarily which is what I set it at) for a second due to very hard cornering. It didnt affect the engine at all and was a one off. Went straight to garage and put a litre in mind you. 15psi is probably a good warning point for tickover or at speed (if immediate notice is taken) I'd have thought.

On a side note worth mentioning is to make sure the head gasket seals well against block and head for oil pressure. Bl**dy thing always leaks after a while, dripping all over the back of the engine (towards bulkhead).

HTD

manifold

Return to General Silly Chat