Electronic Ignition

Please use this forum to detail how to do various tricky jobs on your Midas.
Your endeavours may help others following your path in the future. Tip.... Photos/Pictures speak a thousand words. Midas related FAQs are also in here.

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Electronic Ignition

Postby axshack » Fri Dec 26, 2014 4:08 pm

Ok folks, I feel the need to swap out my standard ignition system for a contactless electronic package. But, which one? In the past I would have chosen Lumenition Optronic without much thought, but I see that there at least 2 other contenders for the A series engine.

So is there a recommendation burning to be passed on for a particular type: e.g. Lumenition, CSI or 123 ?

Dave
axshack

Re: Electronic Ignition

Postby mfdriver » Fri Dec 26, 2014 4:29 pm

Depends how much you want to pay
I bought a new electronic distributor and coil from one of the ebay traders two years ago for my Mk 3 Cooper S, cost about £75 all in and has operated faultlessly.
If interested I will try and find the name.
mfdriver

Postby streetsy » Fri Dec 26, 2014 8:39 pm

I used to use a megajolt distributorless system on my mk2 as it was my daily driver, it costs about £250 ish if you make your own brackets and bits, it also ran without fault and offers the option to customise your ignition curve or curves as you can switch between two maps without the need for a computer, again however it depends upon how much you want to spend and how much work you want to do.
streetsy

Postby Geoff Butcher » Fri Dec 26, 2014 9:05 pm

Another vote for Megajolt, although it seems to have gone up a lot since I got mine. There are so many crappy ignition components around these days, and since I ditched them I've had no more problems...crosses fingers and touches wood 8-)
Geoff
Geoff Butcher

Postby manifold » Fri Dec 26, 2014 9:13 pm

another vote for the megajolt (or megasquirt v3) from me. Cant beat it.

....better than a 123 too. I had one of those. Didn't impress me.
Midas Cars Forum & Facebook Page Founder

Midas Gold Convertible: 1380 steel 16v KAD & 5 sp dog box, Titanium mania, KAD fr/rear callipers, CF Steering

Midas Gold Coupe: 1380 7 port xflow, SC/CR gearbox, Titanium mania, CF Steering & seats.
manifold

Postby axshack » Fri Dec 26, 2014 9:45 pm

mfdriver wrote:Depends how much you want to pay
I bought a new electronic distributor and coil from one of the ebay traders two years ago for my Mk 3 Cooper S, cost about £75 all in and has operated faultlessly.
If interested I will try and find the name.

Yes please! any and all data gratefully received

Dave
axshack

Postby axshack » Fri Dec 26, 2014 9:46 pm

quite a few options here by the looks of things....megavolt didnt show up when I was searching...time for a better look !

d
axshack

Postby Rich » Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:58 pm

Just to be boring I'd vote for MegaJolt as well, the best thing I ever fitted to my Midas.
Rich

Postby mfdriver » Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:45 am

I too have Megajolt on my other classic mini - you need the kit with the sender and trigger wheel and EDIS thingy and coil and someone on a rolling road who knows what they are doing. Cost soon mounts up!
mfdriver

Postby mfdriver » Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:51 am

My dizzie is a Powerspark (ebay) but you can try distributordoctor.com who advertises in Mini Cooper Register magazine
If you want to be endlessly fiddling I suspect you go for the distributor with variable settings, if you want to fit and go - then Megajolt or these two I have suggested?
good luck
Incidentally my Midas has Lumenition set up!
mfdriver

Next

Return to How to Guides & Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)