Classic show invite for club

Please post general information for the interests of Midas Owners Club members here.

Classic show invite for club

Postby cortezkeeper » Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:22 pm

The club has been invited to have cars in the Footman James Classic Restoration Show at the Bath & West Showground November 7 & 8. At present, we are negotiating hall space so offers of cars - either or both days - would be good !! This is quite a step forward for the club, since the show carries the Classic title and we are moving rapidly towards classic status with our lovely cars. What an excellent addition to our anniversary year celebrations !
There may be some privilege tickets for the show, so watch this space.
Any suggestions for other Classic shows to which we may contribute ? Anyone got info on showing at the NEC ?
Onward and upward, viva Midas !!
Michael.
cortezkeeper

Re: Classic show invite for club

Postby kelvink » Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:31 pm

That's pretty good news. I have been along to a few Classic Car Shows lately and they are really really good for the trade stands as well as the cars on show. I'm sure there will be a lot of interest in the Midas marque at this I just wish I had a tidy example of one to take along. I've got some rough ones but I'm working on it.....
kelvink

Postby Hans Efde » Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:37 pm

One problem. The Midas designs don't seem to age. The cars still look fresh and somehow don't look like classic cars. The Midas gold 30 years old, can you believe it? The only giveaway are the taillights and orange indicator lights. Perhaps the small 13 inch wheels but for the rest it could have been designed just a few years ago. Even the Bronze compares to the Mini marcos as a much younger car while they are only a few years apart.
Hans Efde

Postby ACourtney » Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:15 am

Hans Efde wrote:One problem. The Midas designs don't seem to age. The cars still look fresh and somehow don't look like classic cars.

The best car designs are timeless and its a real credit to Richard Oakes that a well looked after example of a 30 year old car still looks modern.

I think that it is the right move for the club to start doing the classic car shows. Stoneleigh is really the only Kit Car show that has survived and I'm sure the club will continue to support it for as long as it keeps going, but with car designs that are 20 years (2+2), 26years (Gold Convertible), 30 years (Gold Coupe) 33years (Mk2) and 37years (Mk1) old, I think that the cars are closer to the classic scene than the current kit car market (Lotus seven lookalikes, Cobra replicas and Ferrari bodykits!). Furthermore, if we want our cars to become appreciating assets and reach the market values we think they truly deserve then they need to be recognized as classic cars.

When I've visited classic car shows it has always been the enthusiasm of the club members on the stands that has left the biggest impression, so it would be good if we could get some club members in the south west to support this initiative. Even if they don't think their cars are good enough to display, they can park up in the classic car parking area and help out on the club's stand.
ACourtney

Postby benofbrum » Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:37 am

I can offer my car, the Trophy blue Excelsior, as long as I can be off site by 5pm on the Sunday at the very latest. I could even get round to spraying or polishing the aluminium scuttle panel for the occasion.
benofbrum

Postby cortezkeeper » Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:07 pm

A quick confirmation that the Club has hall space for the show. Full details in a couple of weeks or so.
Michael.
cortezkeeper

Postby ACourtney » Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:26 pm

It has now been confirmed that we have a stand for the club at this show on November 7th and 8th. We are hoping to share the stand space with the Mini Marcos Owners Club so that we can celebrate the three model anniversaries.
More information about the show is given here: http://www.carsandevents.com/event/the- ... tion-show/
Entry for the classic car park is half price, so bring your Midas and park up for the day for just £5 - it costs more than that to park up for the day in Oxford and there are very few interesting cars to see!
ACourtney

Postby moss » Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:04 am

hi all we have now received the stand no M7 Mendip hall o the site where we will have 3 midas and one mini marcos. on display any Midas owner is welcome on the stand and if you bring your car there is a area set aside for kit cars at a reduced cost of £5.00 per car the show address is Bath and west showground post code BAA6Q1
this is short distance from shepton Mallett
look forward to seeing you on the 7-8 November yes its two days!
tony moss hon sec Midas owners club
moss

Postby kelvink » Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:28 pm

Great to hear that there's going to be a Midas and Mini Marcos stand at the show. Who is doing the organising of the cars on the stand?

Is this going to be a 3 birthdays celebration? Marcos 50 Midas 30 and 25 years ?

Mine sadly are not really show worthy but I'll drive over to the show in my gold Coupe and happy to park it in the owners discounted zone for people to see what a fixer upper looks like. I love having a good excuse to take it for a proper run out. I've been along to Classic Car shows here at the Bath and West Showground before and they are well worth going to. Usually a fair range of good trade stands there too.

Do we need to get tickets beforehand or can we turn up in our cars on the days and expect to get in at the £5 rate?
kelvink

Postby Rich » Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:08 pm

I'm hoping to be at this one, it'll be in the GTM though. Not been to one of these before.
Rich

Next

Return to Information for the interest of Midas Owners Club members