electricity!

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Re: electricity!

Postby axshack » Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:48 pm

I hope that is not my problem (but could well be) because I dont think I can get the pod out without breaking it !!.. It has resisted my attempts to remove it so far !

D
axshack

Postby Geoff Butcher » Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:34 pm

Have you got the two nuts off it under the dashboard? The only other thing stopping it coming out, apart from possibly the steering wheel, should be the speedo cable...
Geoff
Geoff Butcher

Postby axshack » Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:13 pm

Yes, have all 4 nuts removed, but it will not raise up high enough to clear the bolts....obviously needs fiddling with a bit more !! D
axshack

Postby Geoff Butcher » Sun Jul 03, 2016 12:25 am

What you need to keep telling yourself is that someone put it in there! 8-)
Geoff
Geoff Butcher

Postby axshack » Sun Jul 03, 2016 6:56 pm

indeed Geoff. Have managed to extricate it today! Checked for any obvious cross connections in the loom. Nothing. found a couple of scotchloks...aargh! got rid of them.
Cleaned all the multi-way connectors up and re-installed the pod.

Must be on the right track because the voltage on the dipped beam is now down to 6V - getting there, and it isnt enough to strike the LEDs, which is good, but has not entirely cleared the problem!!!

More chasing required I guess :x
axshack

Postby axshack » Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:56 pm

well, I am about to give up on this errant electricity problem....have run out of connections to check, clean and reconnect all to no avail. Still have permanent dipped beam albeit on reduced voltage (7V)...I have absolutely no idea where the cross-connection/leak/drain is happening.

Interestingly, with ignition off. I get Sidelights on position one and dipped beam on position 2 of headlights switch.

with Ignition on. I get sidelights and dipped beam on position 1 (slightly dimmed) and full dipped beam on position 2.

Now, I guess there is a clue here and I suspect that the aftermarket ignition switch might have something to do with it as well, but there are not many combinations of the ignition switch connections to be made. I am worried about where the White/Green cable goes: I think it is onto Ignition controlled power, but the original Metro ignition loom seems to have this line permanently connected to power, which cannot be right as this feeds the Wiper Relay which should not drive the wipers until ignition is on - right?

I think I am digging myself deeper into a black hole of strange electrical happenings.....aaaargh !!
axshack

Postby Geoff Butcher » Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:37 pm

In my Metro diagram the light green/white wires go to ignition-controlled things like radio, screen heater and so on
Geoff
Geoff Butcher

Postby axshack » Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:45 pm

Hi Geoff,
confusing bit is, the cable is actually white with a green trace not the other way around as the diagram says !!

but as it is the only one there, I guess it must be right. I agree that it is an ignition controlled circuit. funnily enough though I have nothing attached to the ACCF (accessory) connection, so my radio does not power up anymore when in that position !! soddit !!
axshack

Postby axshack » Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:04 pm

Well, my local auto electrician has located the source of my constant voltage on the dipped beam circuit.

It seems that it is the remnant of an original DIP/DIM circuit that the MG Metro would have had.
Where the loom emerges from the right hand wing cavity there were 3 Blue/Red cables connected together. That is one from the fuse panel, one for the other side lamp and one......extra !@

The extra one was carrying the voltage and has now been isolated from the loom and the problem is solved !

Now I guess that I must have done something in recent messing about with the headlamps to re-instate this bit of the circuit because it certainly didnt exist when I first got the car.

I have to admit I would never have thought of that despite the fact that when the car was running and I switched on the SIDELIGHTs I did get dimmed dipped beam as well. I just didnt think that it was a feature of the original loom !! :oops:
axshack

Previous

Return to Mk 3 Coupe