extremely cr#p brakes

Ask questions on technical aspects and problems!

A different section under here for each of the models.

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Re: extremely cr#p brakes

Postby Jin » Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:14 pm

Thanks for all the advice and tips, much appreciated.
I'm 100% sure the servo is holding vacuum OK, when I replaced the servo hose I removed the manifold end first then the servo end which was very tight, when it finally came off there was an almighty hiss as air was drawn in, the car hadn't run for over 24 hours so that's pretty good.
Even if the rears are doing nothing I'd expect more performance than this, like you say most of the weight is at the front, the pads and disk's could be incompatible though I've never experienced this before and I felt no improvement changing the pads (motaquip) but it does feel as if all is functional as it should be up until the pads grip the disks and here it feels as though there's not enough friction.
Maybe worth a shot?
https://easywider.co.uk/ universal flexible wheel arch extensions
Jin

Postby Jin » Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:56 pm

slight update, I'm more certain that the issue is friction related and not hydraulic related since the other day I let the car roll with the engine off and pressing the brake pedal, the pedal was rock solid and it did nothing to slow the car, now I know the servo would have not been working but in past cars the brake effort applied by foot alone did at least do something to halt the car, therefore making me believe the friction material isn't up to scratch.

on that note, anyone got some spare drums?
Jin

Postby max midas » Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:06 am

Another way to rest the brake servo (albeit probably not recomended by sensible people). Drive down a long gentle downhill with no other cars around, drop her out of gear and switch the engine off. Depress the brake pedal a few times till it becomes stiff (brake vacuum is used up), keep the pedal preesed as you re-start the engine. You should feel the pedal soften and go down as the engine turns over and brake vacuum is restored.
Do the above at your own risk, don't blame me if you crash!
max midas

Postby Jin » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:50 pm

Adjust the rear shoes with the little screwy thing at the top of the backplate.
That would appear to be the answer.

Actually feel moderately OK now which is what I expected :lol:
Jin

Postby Stuart » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:56 pm

Jin wrote:Adjust the rear shoes with the little screwy thing at the top of the backplate.
That would appear to be the answer.

Actually feel moderately OK now which is what I expected :lol:

doh :roll: :lol:
Stuart

Postby cortezkeeper » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:26 pm

I know that this is about a year-and-a-half late but maybe worthwhile. The brakes on our Cortez left much to be desired but it was nothing to do with the system, which was in good order. The problem was flexibility in the bulkhead, such that not all the foot pressure on the pedal was effective. Once that was eliminated - some thought and some sturdy aluminium plate - then all was and remains well.
Michael.
cortezkeeper

Previous

Return to Technical and Problems