daft idea but...

May contain mild smut, nonsense and innuendo

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

daft idea but...

Postby Jin » Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:49 am

Has anyone considered removing the doors off their Midas?
Just a silly idea I've had buzzing about in my head for a while and I'm not taking myself too seriously but I Wonder if it would work?
The shape of my car would lend itself well to it and I don't see that technically it would not be much different to a jeep, or a moke or one of them daft fiat things.
So how about it?
Discuss...
https://easywider.co.uk/ universal flexible wheel arch extensions
Jin

Re: daft idea but...

Postby DavidL » Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:19 pm

Water leaks would become an even greater problem... ;)

However, I'll have to take the driver's door off mine at some point. Probably due to lack of recent use (and age, no doubt), the hinges have been getting stiffer and stiffer. I've tried squirting GT85 into them and working them back and forward, but so far it hasn't made much difference. I've seen Hans Efde's posts about re-pinning his door hinges, and will probably have to do something similar, and bore them for grease nipples too...
DavidL

Postby kelvink » Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:10 pm

You could try out and get an idea somewhat of how it would be by winding down the windows and driving it like that, even park it up and leave it in a car park for a while too. The ingenious design of the Midas is quite stunning really it is such an advanced design it lets you test this without any modifications at all.

By the way I do have a couple of fully open vehicles This is me in one of them.....

and yes I'm also daft/mad :D
kelvink

Postby Jin » Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:35 pm

kelvink wrote:You could try out and get an idea somewhat of how it would be by winding down the windows and driving it like that, even park it up and leave it in a car park for a while too. The ingenious design of the Midas is quite stunning really it is such an advanced design it lets you test this without any modifications at all.

By the way I do have a couple of fully open vehicles This is me in one of them.....

and yes I'm also daft/mad :D

Wow that's a cool car, I want it :)
I propose either having quick release doors to retain them for wet weather and or a lightweight foldable affair to be stowed in the boot.
From memory the cortez doors don't weigh much anyway
https://easywider.co.uk/ universal flexible wheel arch extensions
Jin

Postby benofbrum » Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:35 pm

Water leaks would become an even greater problem...

However, I'll have to take the driver's door off mine at some point. Probably due to lack of recent use (and age, no doubt), the hinges have been getting stiffer and stiffer. I've tried squirting GT85 into them and working them back and forward, but so far it hasn't made much difference. I've seen Hans Efde's posts about re-pinning his door hinges, and will probably have to do something similar, and bore them for grease nipples too...

DavidL
Have you tried motorcycle chain lubricant, or is GT 85 more or less the same thing?
Help. How do ou put the post you wish to reply to in a shaded box
benofbrum

Postby Stuart » Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:03 pm

benofbrum wrote: How do ou put the post you wish to reply to in a shaded box

click the quote button at the top of the post you wish to reply to ;)
Stuart

Postby DavidL » Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:57 pm

benofbrum wrote: Have you tried motorcycle chain lubricant, or is GT 85 more or less the same thing?

Motorbike chain lube is too sticky, GT85 is a penetrating fluid along the lines of WD40.
DavidL

Postby benofbrum » Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:16 pm

Stuart wrote:
benofbrum wrote: How do ou put the post you wish to reply to in a shaded box

click the quote button at the top of the post you wish to reply to ;)

Thanks Stuart.
And to David. Motorcycle chain lube is sticky, but it is also designed to penetrate into the links
benofbrum

Postby DavidL » Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:26 pm

benofbrum wrote:Motorcycle chain lube is sticky, but it is also designed to penetrate into the links

Which is why I don't think it would be suitable - I was hoping that the penetrating fluid would dissolve and loosen the crud, which might then run out of any tiny gaps. Something sticky would tend to hold it in place, I'd have thought.

And besides that, I can buy GT85 a lot cheaper than chain lube!
DavidL

Postby benofbrum » Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:18 pm

DavidL wrote:
benofbrum wrote:Motorcycle chain lube is sticky, but it is also designed to penetrate into the links

Which is why I don't think it would be suitable - I was hoping that the penetrating fluid would dissolve and loosen the crud, which might then run out of any tiny gaps. Something sticky would tend to hold it in place, I'd have thought.

And besides that, I can buy GT85 a lot cheaper than chain lube!

Ah, I see your problem. I had something similar recently and loosened and flushed out the crud with paraffin, then flushed out the paraffin with 3 in 1 oil.
Sorry for going off thread, Justin. I can't really see any point in a doorless car with a roof. People would just think you were running around in it while the doors were being resprayed or something. In the days before indicators, it would have made hand signalling easier though.
benofbrum

Next

Return to General Silly Chat