daft idea but...

May contain mild smut, nonsense and innuendo

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Re: daft idea but...

Postby Hans Efde » Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:31 am

That could work, but what about the windscreen, are you going to chop off the A-pillars?.
The doors don't add much strength or torsion resistance. The original hinges are crap. The hinges by GTM had the grease nipples but not much gets in. I am trying to grease them anyway, but just to prevent corrosion. I did the hinge bolt pin mod a few years ago and zero play. Easy to tighten them up as well, but hasn't been necessary.
Hans Efde

Postby kelvink » Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:00 pm

I have to say that the door hinges on the Midas are anything but
crap
Bear in mind how old these cars are and then have a think about the door hinges on a car that's the same age.....

I've got a Citroen Xsara Picasso that's on a 56 plate (that's 10 years old) and I have to prop the door open as I get in and out of the car and I daren't leave the keys in the ignition as the drivers door self closes. In short they are knackered on a modern car that's just turned 10 years old. Neither of my Midas have this problem and they are each well over twice this age. You can adjust the Midas hinges and you can not do anything to the Citroen's and it's not just Citroens that are like this.

No the hinges on a Midas are actually pretty darned good

These cars are kits which were designed to be built by the owner, they are typically 25 years old now so some maintenance is of course going to be needed to be done and yes you may find some parts could do with replacement but it's all within the feasible realms of a kit car enthusiast. One of the things I really like about this era of kit car is that you'll find no computers in the car and consequently everything is fixable, including adjusting the hinges. My Picasso on the other hand well I'm probably going to throw in the towel on that one soon.

In my opinion the best approach when taking on any kit is to consider a total rebuild, you'll learn a lot about your car and you'll find ways of making maintenance a breeze along the way. Look at the best cars in the club and at the shows and you'll most likely find that they had a complete rebuild. There's lots of examples here on this forum of people doing just that and there's lots of friendly help and advice here too not least of all from Hans who is constantly updating and tweaking his cars, even though he does talk some crap at times ;-) ( just kidding Hans)

Anyone interested in older cars can not fail to have noticed how prices of old rot boxes have gone up and up lately and this makes tinkering with old cars something which is begining to get out of the reach of many. As I've said old cars don't have electronics and computers in them and this may be a contributory factor as to why they are sought after now. The Midas is built on easily available BL / Austin Rover parts and the few parts theat are difficult to find usually have some form of improved part available thanks to the huge fanbase that exists who often race the cars or lovingly restore them. I think we'rre also beginning to see this also happen with the Midas too with prices beginning to nudge up now thanks to all those of you out there who are restoring your cars and showing off your great work. Just look at what Jin has done with his even if he has got this mad idea of taking the doors off ! :roll: ;-)
kelvink

Postby fozzza » Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:59 pm

Even in warm weather I still feel the cold so having an open plan car would be a bit drafty for me, but on the other hand if I was to ever give the ex wife a lift I could drop her off with out stopping. I must apologies about these wicked thoughts but I couldn't resist it. ;). I am well and truly going to keep my doors on even if, very soon I have got to repair these controversial hinges :lol: ;).

Picking up on a point that Kelvin made, the reason why I love my Midas so much is the simplicity of it, no computers or electronics, a totally basic car. When I've took people for a ride in my Midas, I have always made them well aware that it is nothing like a modern day car, no power steering, no anti lock brakes, less forgiving suspension, noisier engine, no air conditioning etc and they have said I get the true driving experience, me driving the car not the car driving me. :D
Roy
fozzza

Postby Geoff Butcher » Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:04 pm

I had to explain recently to someone what a choke knob is for... :lol:
Geoff
Geoff Butcher

Postby benofbrum » Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:46 am

Geoff Butcher wrote:I had to explain recently to someone what a choke knob is for... :lol:

Reminds me of an old joke about lady drivers and handbags
benofbrum

Previous

Return to General Silly Chat