Speaker sizes

Talk about In Car Entertainment and Security Issues!

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Speaker sizes

Postby Inim666 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:48 pm

So what size speakers is everyone using? Mine had 4 inch ones in the back with adapter plates to fill the hole for 6.5 speakers
Inim666

Re: Speaker sizes

Postby Jin » Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:40 am

I've got 5x7s in the back and 5s in the front
sounds fantastic
https://easywider.co.uk/ universal flexible wheel arch extensions
Jin

Postby kelvink » Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:45 pm

I had one solitary rather bashful speaker in my Mk3 when I got it. It was hiding away above the glove box....

I put a pair of new ones in the back which I kind of knew were going to have a bit of a struggle to get heard and yep I could have even put huge PA speakers in the car and I'd still barely be able to hear them on the move. The Midas is not really an ideal place for anything purporting to be a HiFi system
kelvink

Postby DavidL » Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:44 am

kelvink wrote:I had one solitary rather bashful speaker in my Mk3 when I got it. It was hiding away above the glove box....
I put a pair of new ones in the back which I kind of knew were going to have a bit of a struggle to get heard and yep I could have even put huge PA speakers in the car and I'd still barely be able to hear them on the move. The Midas is not really an ideal place for anything purporting to be a HiFi system

Depends on whether you follow Harold's advice on soundproofing, surely? Although you probably lose about an inch and a half of headroom when you do that. ;)
My Mk 2 was about as quiet as my HLS Metro, as far as I can recall.
DavidL

Postby fozzza » Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:35 am

I've got soundproofing in my MK 2 but it still seemed a little noisy especially at speed but accepted it as part of the course of having a kit car. I wonder if the MK 3 / 4 are any quieter than the MK 1 / 2 :?:
Roy
fozzza

Postby Jin » Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:28 am

fozzza wrote: I wonder if the MK 3 / 4 are any quieter than the MK 1 / 2 :?:

my mk4 is very civilised, almost too much so if that makes sense? I sort of feel im being cheated out of the full kit car experience.
its like driving a Bentley compared to my Quantum, sometimes i have to open the door when i park up and give the engine a rev to remind myself how nice the exhaust sounds because you can not here it or the engine on the move, the only gripe is the wind noise around the door glass at 70+ MPH but i hope to address that soon.
https://easywider.co.uk/ universal flexible wheel arch extensions
Jin

Postby goldeneye » Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:30 pm

DavidL wrote:
kelvink wrote:I had one solitary rather bashful speaker in my Mk3 when I got it. It was hiding away above the glove box....

Depends on whether you follow Harold's advice on soundproofing, surely? Although you probably lose about an inch and a half of headroom when you do that. ;)
My Mk 2 was about as quiet as my HLS Metro, as far as I can recall.

Is there more information on "Harold's advice on soundproofing" ? like a link or something.
Midas Mk II
goldeneye

Postby Stuart » Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:06 pm

goldeneye wrote:Is there more information on "Harold's advice on soundproofing" ? like a link or something.

It was a £140 option at this point in time

http://midasownersclub.co.uk/archive/ar ... ge%206.jpg

The foam lead foam used on early cars is mentioned here

http://midasownersclub.co.uk/archive/ar ... it%201.jpg
Stuart

Postby benofbrum » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:28 pm

Car Builder solutions sell lead foam sheet. I have a piece awaiting warmer weather so I can install it in the MK1, along with other sound damping panels.
Agree with Justin, the K series engine/box is much quieter. Wind noise is the only real problem, though the doors and bonnet will benefit from some of the damping panels.
benofbrum

Return to I.C.E. and Security