Q987 AFG ex-owner surfaces.

Newbie? Introduce yourself here!

Ring the bell and say "Hi" by telling us a little about you and your cars. We always have someone in who'll get the door and welcome you to the family!

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Q987 AFG ex-owner surfaces.

Postby simmit » Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:05 pm

Let me introduce myself.
Many years ago I owned a Rochdale Olympic and later a Midas Gold and recently decided to see if there are any of those two fabulous cars for sale. Imagine my surprise to find my old car, Q987 AFG, mentioned in this forum.

On the off-chance I might find a decent Coupe for sale (not into extensive projects nowadays) I thought I ought join your merry band. My concern is that I may have difficulty getting in and out of a Midas now that my joints are not so flexible but I won't know about that until I have a go shall I! Anyway, I'm going to try one out for size next Week so watch this space.

I'm still looking for an Olympic! Can anyone here help with that?

Alan
simmit

Re: Q987 AFG ex-owner surfaces.

Postby Geoff Butcher » Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:30 pm

Hi, Alan, Q987AFG here! I think you were its second owner and you sold it to Tim Clark in 1994? That MED engine was £925 well spent as it's still going strong, although I do treat it gently in deference to its starship mileage! Curiously when I decided to sell my previous Midas my plan was to get an Olympic, but I eventually realised I would never find one, so upgraded to the Mk 3. It looks rather scruffy these days, badly in need of new paint which it will probably never get.. :(
Geoff
Geoff Butcher

Postby simmit » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:52 pm

Hi Geoff.
Thanks for your note.
Can't honestly remember name of guy I sold it to but can recall previous owner saying the car was a "factory build" not a kit!
I made a fibreglass boot spoiler for the car. Is it still attached?
Olympic v Coupe? Hard call as to which is the better, I think. Memory (poor) seems to think the Olympic had more internal space and more grunt but the Coupe more sophistication and better finsh. Both having excellent monocoque body. I recall the Coupe could be jacked up at one corner and doors still able to be opened and closed perfectly, no twisting whatsoever.

If you're ever likely to be in the Lincoln area give me a call.
simmit

Postby Geoff Butcher » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:48 pm

Alan,
It's never had a spoiler in my ownership or any signs of fitting. It was probably removed when Tim had the car painted in 1997. Don't suppose you've got any photos?
Re the Olympic, a friend of mine bought one a few years ago. When he took it for a test drive that bonded-in frame which holds the front suspension on collapsed :lol: He still bought it and it's now on the road
Geoff
Geoff Butcher

Postby cortezkeeper » Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:25 pm

Alan, If you are serious about an Olympic, I am considering selling mine. It is substantially complete but in need of recommissioning.
Michael.
cortezkeeper

Postby MikeW » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:00 pm

Hi Michael

Is your Rochdale Olympic for sale?

Thanks
Mike
MikeW

Return to The Doorbell - Introduce yourself