Hesitant starting !

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Hesitant starting !

Postby axshack » Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:40 pm

Hi all,
my still running-in Avonbar engine is telling me something is amiss with the timing I think!

On a cold start, it is very hesitant indeed, but does eventually start and then runs ok. Battery fully charged, cables tight so what else could be at fault?
Well, the timing is really only set as I did it when the engine was refitted, and I did have some trouble getting the timing marks to tell me what I needed to know.

Now, I understand that this hesitancy very well means the timing is just off - maybe too far advanced - and can be cured by a very small adjustment of the distributor in the retard direction - but, which way is that? Clockwise or anti-clockwise as you look at the front of the engine?

I need to get this fixed asap, as it is getting worse, hmmm, maybe the pinch bolt isnt as tight as it should be?

Whatever, any pointers would be gratefully received!
Cheers

Dave
axshack

Re: Hesitant starting !

Postby fozzza » Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:31 pm

Turning the distributor anti-clockwise will retard the ignition.
Roy
fozzza

Postby axshack » Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:48 pm

Thanks for that very important bit of info....looks like tomorrow I will mostly be fiddling with the dizzy !! :D
axshack

Postby coh1952 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:14 pm

Variations in timing between static set-up and running can be due to worn drive shaft bushes
ColinOH
coh1952

Postby Hans Efde » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:17 pm

And don't use the data from Haynes. It's too conservative. 12 to 15 degrees btdc at idle is fine. The engine pulls much better with this setting.
Hans Efde

Return to Mk 3 Coupe