Mk 1 Project Zippy. Looking Like a Car.

If you're taking on the task of rebuilding the whole Midas, please put the project in here.

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Re: Mk 1 Project Zippy - Engine is In! 01/04/17

Postby MrBounce » Tue May 02, 2017 2:16 pm

There's a hole in my car. Selector taped up to avoid filling it with fibreglass dust.

Thick fibreglass in this bit, thankfully.

Not much room for the oil senders. I am thinking of changing my plans - nothing is set in stone.

MrBounce

Postby MrBounce » Tue May 09, 2017 8:16 pm

Just a quick update tonight, but it is another successful one. A few months ago, when I'd fitted the tank sender unit, one of the bolts didn't nip up properly and I made a mental note to check it out. When I had a tidy up in the garage, I moved the tank and had a look at it. Turns out that, despite me using new bolts from Mini Spares, the threads had stripped. The tank itself was bought secondhand, so my guess is that someone had re-tapped the bolt holes. Either that or they were all knackered.

This left me with a number of options. 1) Throw the tank away and buy a new one. I really didn't fancy the idea of spending £150+ on a new tank that I would then cut the filler neck off a bit. Plus I didn't have £150 spare. 2) Chop the offending area out and fabricate a new bit and weld it in. Both mine & friend's welders are out of gas. Plus I would not be sure how successful it would be. 3) Drill and re-tap the offending knackered holes to a larger size. Armed with encouragement from 2 very helpful Mini Forum members, out came a 4mm drill bit, which was followed by the hoover and then an M5 tap. I did need to make the holes in the gasket slightly larger (using a belt punch of all things!) but it all went together surprisingly well. The acid test came when I'd put it all together - would it leak? 5 minutes with a litre or so of fuel with the tank on its side said no. Success! And a happy me with more in the bank!

Stripped threads on new bolts.

Larger M5 bolts make a good seal. Lovely.

MrBounce

Postby MrBounce » Mon May 29, 2017 1:35 pm

Apologies for the somewhat glacial pace of this rebuild - things like work and family seem to get in the way, which is a little unfair really! Anyway, after a trip down to Brighton to see all the Minis and the stalls, I came back with a few bits and have done a few minor things and come across yet ANOTHER problem. I shall explain:

I got some more blue paint and have given the tank a decent covering of it as the black I'd hit it with was a bit rubbish. So all I need to do with it now is to pop a new seal on to the sender (the old one looked ropey) and chuck it on the car, which will help me with determining where to put the fuel pump. I managed to pick up up various bits in Brighton, including new wiper wheelboxes, a dipstick which (almost) matches the engine and a new alternator, as when we tested it, my current one doesn't do as it's supposed to.

The calipers were ready to go on, so first of all I found my fresh set of EBC Black stuff pads, new pins and anti rattle shims, then built them up on the bench and after remembering the copper washers, put them on the car. It will soon be time to put poor Zippy back on his wheels and move him out into the daylight so I can have a good look at what needs to be sorted. There's numerous little scrapes and chips on the fresh paint (all my fault) so I will be needing to do some touching in. Oh joy - more painting...

Finally I have discovered my latest problem: My beautiful MG Metro rocker cover with its new cap does not fit under the bonnet. There's precious little room under there anyway, but the cap and the t-bars foul, so unless anyone can suggest an alternative oil cap that fits in the MG cover, then a different original-style cover it is. Balls.

Freshly painted tank - soon to be added to the car.

New wiper wheelboxes. The old ones were beyond saving.

Calipers built up on the bench with new pads, pins and shims.

MrBounce

Postby MrBounce » Mon May 29, 2017 1:36 pm

Attached to the car

New dipstick (there wasn't one with the engine in bits). It almost matches...

Brand spanking new alternator. Far cheaper than it ought to have been - gotta love Mini Shows...

MrBounce

Postby MrBounce » Mon May 29, 2017 1:36 pm

And the Rocker Cover that's too tall for the bonnet. Probably a combination of Mk1 bonnet, new engine mounts and, well, new everything.

MrBounce

Postby MrBounce » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:16 pm

Tearing myself away from most things engine-related, I thought I ought to take a look at the wiper motor. This was languishing on the spares shelf and had been since I stripped the car. No More! Once I got it on to the bench I realised that it was filthy and in need a of a clean and minor refurb. As far as wiper motors go, it probably hasn't actually done that much work so a freshen up would most likely do. I stripped it down into its component parts, noting where everything went and started the deep clean. Typically the park switch broke but new ones are available and are not desperately expensive so I'll get a new one. The old one was disgusting though, so I probably did myself a favour.

I gave the wiper rack tubes a degrease, de-rust and spray in primer followed by satin black. I then did the same to the 3 parts that make up the wiper motor body. Interestingly the motor was dated 1982, which must mean that the original on the car was probably replaced at some point, this being a 1981 car. I shall hopefully put it all back together with no issues...

Wiper Motor in its component parts, midway through being cleaned.

Rack tubes mid-colour change

Body parts in primer...

MrBounce

Postby MrBounce » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:16 pm

...and in satin black.

Of course, I did the main body too.

Filthy switch with broken locating pin. It might work again, but I'll replace it.

MrBounce

Postby MrBounce » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:13 pm

Just a quick update today.

As I am likely to fit the tank fairly soon, I realised it needed the neck sealing ring (which I didn't have). Not to be deterred I found and decent piece of dense foam in the Manroom and cut it up until I had something approaching what is sold normally. it's a bit untidy but nobody's going to see it anyway...

I was fiddling around with the wiper rack tubes and the new wheelboxes on the bench and thought to myself "I may as well get these out of the way". So, armed with a 5/16" socket and the parts, off I went down the front end of the car. After some initial confusion where nothing seemed to line up correctly (I'd inadvertently put the wheelboxes upside down), the job was pretty straightforward; although having 3 hands would have made it easier. I have rubbed down the chrome plinths I have and sprayed them satin black - these will go on later.

Finally, as I was fiddling around in that area, I took a look at the washer tubing. I have always hated the way this worked on this car. It was loosely fed up the side of the washer bottle and through the bulkhead using the same hole as the wiper rack. It looked dreadful. So out came the drill and the vicious little nibbly thing (cone cutter). My first plan was to use a grommet and feed the washer tube through the bulkhead using a small hole cut by the bottom of the washer bottle. However, the fibreglass is pretty thick here so I had a rethink. It turns out that fuel hose is the exact size for washer pipe to run through, so I cut a 6mm piece and popped it into the hole I'd drilled. Looks SO much neater. Needs a tiny bit of colour matching (you can just make out a tiny ring of white...) but that won't take much to sort.

Homemade tank neck sealing ring. 5 minutes work with some foam and pair of scissors. I think I used a pint glass and a tin of polish as templates to draw round. I deserve a Blue Peter badge!

Small but satisfying modification to the route the washer tubing takes through the bulkhead. Much neater.

MrBounce

Postby Geoff Butcher » Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:15 pm

That sealing ring looks like open cell foam. Isn't there a chance of it holding water, leading to corrosion?
Geoff
Geoff Butcher

Postby MrBounce » Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:34 pm

Geoff Butcher wrote:That sealing ring looks like open cell foam. Isn't there a chance of it holding water, leading to corrosion?

Quite likely - I shall chuck it. Only took 5 minutes to make anyway. Cheers Geoff. 8-)
MrBounce

PreviousNext

Return to Complete Midas rebuild