mg metro 4-2-1 downpipe

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Re: mg metro 4-2-1 downpipe

Postby Hans Efde » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:33 am

Yes quite happy with the quality as well, although have just done 5000km's after rebuild. And now I've put a red spring in the SU carb it seems flow velocity has increased. The exhaust has now a sort of angry howl. Sounds awesome, I've to try to video it.
Hans Efde

Postby fozzza » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:35 pm

Looks a very nice LCB. I will be needing one for my MK3 coupe project car. Is ground clearance is ok, especially over speed humps :?:. The way I'm thinking is, with the mini LCB, being slightly longer and so the exhaust being slightly lower it may help give a little more clearance down the central tunnel and help prevent heat damage to the GRP that has being prevalent on a number of MK3s.
Roy
fozzza

Postby Hans Efde » Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:03 pm

Yes if you put the front suspension at the correct ride height and make sure the exhaust is supported in the middle. I made a support from a strip of steel and a silent block. Never had any problems since. Exhaust is also sufficiently clear from tunnel and gearshift box with the extra clearance, no heat issues.

Here is a picture of the mid mount, also a good pic for showing the distance between the shift mechanism and the exhaust:

And a close up:
Hans Efde

Postby fozzza » Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:44 pm

Thanks Hans for the info and pictures, much obliged. I definitely think that's the way to go, your exhaust looks a lot less cramped than how it was on my MK3.

Cheers Roy.
Roy
fozzza

Postby Stuart » Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:18 pm

I'm going to guess that most mk3's had the cast Metro exhaust manifold and something like this exhaust, I know the exhaust varied a bit through the years.

This one burnt right through the grp and melted the sound insulation too, although not with me driving as it hasn't been running with me.

npp 020.jpg
npp 020.jpg (109.78 KiB) Viewed 9637 times
Stuart

Postby fozzza » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:44 am

Stuart wrote:I'm going to guess that most mk3's had the cast Metro exhaust manifold and something like this exhaust, I know the exhaust varied a bit through the years.

This one burnt right through the grp and melted the sound insulation too, although not with me driving as it hasn't been running with me.

npp 020.jpg

I never gave it a thought that the MK3s were using the original cast manifolds, obviously there was a risk of heat damage what ever manifold you chose to use :oops: .
I had a Metro once and seeing the flanges on the downpipes in your photo brought back bad memories of fitting those exhaust clamps between the engine and bulk head, a complete pain in the bum :x.
Last edited by fozzza on Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:56 am, edited 4 times in total.
Roy
fozzza

Postby Stuart » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:52 am

fozzza wrote:I never gave it a thought that the MK3s were using the original cast manifolds, obviously there was a risk of heat damage what ever manifold you chose to use :oops: .
I had a Metro once and seeing the flanges on the downpipes in your photo brought back bad memories of fitting those exhaust clamps between the engine and bulk head, a complete pain in the bum :x.

I think Mini's where even worse than Metro's, although only the one clamp to fit on those. Maniflow used to make improved down pipes for those too, perhaps they still do.
Stuart

Postby fozzza » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:01 am

Stuart wrote:
fozzza wrote:I never gave it a thought that the MK3s were using the original cast manifolds, obviously there was a risk of heat damage what ever manifold you chose to use :oops: .

I think Mini's where even worse than Metro's, although only the one clamp to fit on those. Maniflow used to make improved down pipes for those too, perhaps they still do.

By the way very useful photo, part of the exhaust was missing on my MK3 and so its good reference to see how it is routed :? .
Roy
fozzza

Postby Stuart » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:27 am

fozzza wrote:By the way very useful photo, part of the exhaust was missing on my MK3 and so its good reference to see how it is routed :? .

No problem :)

npp 019.jpg
npp 019.jpg (114.77 KiB) Viewed 9625 times

npp 021.jpg
npp 021.jpg (103.31 KiB) Viewed 9625 times

npp 022.jpg
npp 022.jpg (109.97 KiB) Viewed 9625 times
Stuart

Postby Geoff Butcher » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:59 pm

I never gave it a thought that the MK3s were using the original cast manifolds, obviously there was a risk of heat damage what ever manifold you chose to use :oops: .
I had a Metro once and seeing the flanges on the downpipes in your photo brought back bad memories of fitting those exhaust clamps between the engine and bulk head, a complete pain in the bum :x.[/quote]

I think the trick is to weld the bolt heads to one side of the clamps
Geoff
Geoff Butcher

Previous

Return to Mk 3 Convertible