Mk 2 on Car and Classics

Please put here eBay items you have for sale, or items you've spotted. Thanks!

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Mk 2 on Car and Classics

Postby johno » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:47 am

johno

Re: Mk 2 on Car and Classics

Postby Geoff Butcher » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:22 pm

My old car pops up again. It was only bought by the present owner a few months ago...
Geoff
Geoff Butcher

Postby fozzza » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:48 am

I remember this car being on ebay a while back but can't recall how much it sold for.
Roy
fozzza

Postby manifold » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:25 pm

Slight bullshit alert: "The mk2 is the best of the Midas' it is the one that F1 Brabham designer Gordan Murray developed, not to be confused with the later heavier hydra-gas models.
Fully sorted and ready to drive away."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Midas Cars Forum & Facebook Page Founder

Midas Gold Convertible: 1380 steel 16v KAD & 5 sp dog box, Titanium mania, KAD fr/rear callipers, CF Steering

Midas Gold Coupe: 1380 7 port xflow, SC/CR gearbox, Titanium mania, CF Steering & seats.
manifold

Postby Stuart » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:12 pm

manifold wrote:Slight bullshit alert: "The mk2 is the best of the Midas' it is the one that F1 Brabham designer Gordan Murray developed, not to be confused with the later heavier hydra-gas models.
Fully sorted and ready to drive away."

In fairness it was reported that Gordon Murray had some input in the changes from mk1 to mk2, guessing it was the front apron, perhaps it was a quick scribble on a piece of paper. Something like "I'd do this at the front Harold"

The seller clearly takes his inspiration of over stating the facts from Harold :P :D
Stuart

Postby Geoff Butcher » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:05 pm

I don't think the alteration to the back has done it any favours
Geoff
Geoff Butcher

Postby cubera » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:21 am

If I remember correctly, Gordon Murray had a Mk one or two, which benefited from some fancy suspension and an Alfasud power unit. I wonder what became of it. Anyway, I think his involvement with development can best be seen in the Mk three, in the form of the aerodynamic undertrays particularly. When I ordered my first "Gold" I was doubtful of the value of the trays, but ordered them anyway, and never regretted the extra cost - the effect, especially at high speed in strong winds, is/was remarkable. The original fastenings were rubbish, but large screws and penny washers meant mine never came adrift.
cubera

Postby ACourtney » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:52 am

Gordon Murray still has his Alfa powered Mk2. It seems that it was left unfinished during his time at Mclaren and some photos that were taken of the car then can be seen on the club's website:
http://midasownersclub.co.uk/gallery-2/
ACourtney

Postby BigA » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:03 am

Is this Mk2 known to the Forum? I'm interested in it but was seeking any advice as a novice to the marque, for this particular car.....

If Gordon Murray fitted in a Mk1/2, then am assuming a 6ft 2" like me might be okay? I've driven a GTM Coupe in reasonable comfort...

Thanks in advance!!
BigA

Postby Stuart » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:39 am

BigA wrote:If Gordon Murray fitted in a Mk1/2, then am assuming a 6ft 2" like me might be okay? I've driven a GTM Coupe in reasonable comfort...

I'm 5'8" and just fit a mk2. A lot depends on where your extra height is, if you have a long torso you may find one a bit too low. Russell Bulgins magazine car had a ramp added in the floor to accommodate his 6'5" frame.

Mk3 's have 2" more room so suit taller drivers better.
Stuart

Next

Return to eBay links