rear suspension coilover MKII

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

rear suspension coilover MKII

Postby ilmung » Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:38 pm

I know there's a lot of information about the rear coilovers etc....
But it' very difficult to find in this forest of information which it's the best /right solution for a MKII Midas .
Can somebody me inform what you have done with the rear coilovers to have the best solution ?
Some information : I am a fast road driver and the engine is a suzuki 1300 gti .
Thanks in advance !
ilmung

Re: rear suspension coilover MKII

Postby Stuart » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:12 pm

Do not buy GAZ dampers, the damping rate is too high I understand.

Protech may be your best option for a shorter damper, spring rate from 90lb/inch to 110lb/inch, 2.25" diameter springs.

viewtopic.php?f=54&t=1960&hilit=mk2+coilovers

these are the best mini shocks, I guess the rear ones could be modified to hold a spring too https://www.minisport.com/kyb74304kit-k ... rbers.html
Stuart

Postby goldeneye » Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:30 am

I use this one's from mini sport:

https://www.minisport.com/spag895-as164 ... -each.html

I have modified them to support lower springs that i have bought separate from ebay.
Midas Mk II
goldeneye

Postby Rich » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:27 pm

I have Protech's on my Mk3 and couldn't fault them.
Rich

Postby fozzza » Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:42 pm

Stuart wrote:Do not buy GAZ dampers, the damping rate is too high I understand.

Protech may be your best option for a shorter damper, spring rate from 90lb/inch to 110lb/inch, 2.25" diameter springs.

viewtopic.php?f=54&t=1960&hilit=mk2+coilovers

these are the best mini shocks, I guess the rear ones could be modified to hold a spring too https://www.minisport.com/kyb74304kit-k ... rbers.html

I totally agree. I have GAZ dampers with 90lb springs on the back of my MK2 and it feels quite harsh. I suppose the best comparison is like the Princess and the pea. Its not so bad when we go away for a few days with a full fuel tank and the wife has packed the kitchen sink :roll: but you cant always travel fully loaded up. so I also would not recommend.
I have purchased Protech for my MK3 but have not put them to use yet, so Im pleased that Rich has recommended them :D.
Roy
fozzza

Postby IanJ » Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:39 pm

Hi everyone, this is my first post, with a question. Just about to start my restoration of a Mk3 Coupe, which at the moment is sitting in Alistair’s workshop, waiting to go for a respray. It will then be making it’s way to my garage so I can start work on it.

I realise this is a tread for Mk2’s but a couple of you have mentioned Protech shocks and springs for your Mk3. Could you please tell which Protech shocks and springs you used? Size and type would be helpful.

This will probably be the start of a lot of questions from me, hope you’re all patient. ;)

Thanks
Ian
IanJ

Postby Stuart » Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:24 pm

IanJ wrote:
I realise this is a tread for Mk2’s but a couple of you have mentioned Protech shocks and springs for your Mk3. Could you please tell which Protech shocks and springs you used? Size and type would be helpful.

Hi Ian, Rich has Protech's on his mk3 convertible detailed in this thread viewtopic.php?f=55&t=1629&p=10136#p10136

400 series.
14.5" open length, 2 1/4" spring seats, M27 upper mount, Bottom mount is 32mm bonded bush with 12mm hole diameter.

Link to the bonded bush 400 series http://www.protechshocks.co.uk/protech- ... 2-1-4-i-d/
Stuart

Postby IanJ » Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:11 pm

Thanks Stuart, great reply I like the look of the Protech Shocks.

Ian
IanJ

Postby Geoff Butcher » Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:23 pm

I had a pair of Protechs on my Mk 3. After less then a thousand miles one of them seized solid, luckily at home. I sent them back and they came back with no paperwork so I rang to find out what the fault had been. The chap I spoke to gave me the impression that there had never been anything wrong with it, this despite the fact that my body weight was not enough to compress it. Anyway by that time I had other dampers fitted, but recently when I fitted some 110lb/in springs I had another look at the Protechs which have been in my garage with no springs on ever since they were returned to me. Somewhat to my surprise I found the one of them is seized solid! What to do? I can't tell it if it's the one that seized before. If I sent it back again would I ever have the confidence to put them on the car? I was lucky last time, next time I might be anywhere...You can't drive a car with a seized damper, not at more than a walking pace anyway... :evil:
Geoff
Geoff Butcher

Postby Stuart » Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:35 pm

Geoff Butcher wrote:I had a pair of Protechs on my Mk 3. After less then a thousand miles one of them seized solid, luckily at home.

Some people really rate them, and others have trouble. My mention of KYB earlier stems from this post from Gaz (not to be confused with GAZ dampers) on the 16 valve mini forum.

small update on things, I've been trying to sort my dampers for a while, the gaz ones were knackered after only a couple of thousand miles so I put on some old koni's I had lying around and these were ok but not adjustable and past their best so I decided to try some protechs as everyone raves about them. Unfortunately the brand new protechs rattled on rough surfaces and although probably not noticable on a track car or loud road car it was clearly audible in mine and drove me mad so i sent them back to be inspected and rebuilt. They still rattled so protech agreed to send me another new pair to try and again they rattled, to be fair the customer service and turnaround from protech was fantastic but unfortunately we couldn't solve the problem so i returned them and they gave me a refund.
I had a few minor issues with the car including what felt like clutch judder (a new borg&beck clutch was fitted less than a year ago) and some rattles as well as the damper problem. Well i decided to fit new engine mounts as the old ones were from a scrapyard so i've no idea how old they are, I also fitted the KYB dampers and tried to fix some rattles. Usually when you have been chasing problems for a while and keep trying to fix them you expect the problem to still be there so i was pleasantly surprised when i went for a test drive and all the problems were fixed in one hit! The dampers are silent and handle fantastically - better than both the gaz and protechs, the clutch judder has gone and the car it rattle free, it was a joy to drive!

http://www.16vminiclub.com/forums/showt ... 87&page=58
Stuart

Next

Return to Mk 2