Is a Mini Marcos OK for a 6ft driver?

Newbie? Introduce yourself here!

Ring the bell and say "Hi" by telling us a little about you and your cars. We always have someone in who'll get the door and welcome you to the family!

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Re: Is a Mini Marcos OK for a 6ft driver?

Postby Stuart » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:05 pm

Rust hater wrote:Is this perhaps due to Midas generally using a Metro engine and 5 speed box but Marcos a revvier smaller Mini engine with 4 speed box?

I'd like a car that feels fast rather than necessarily IS fast

All Midas up to and including the mk3 convertible mentioned use the 4-speed A-series or A+ series engines and gearbox unless modified. The MK4 Midas uses the later K-series running gear which most (although not all, some early cars had 4 gears) used the standard 5-speed gearbox.

The MK1 and 2 will give the most feeling of going fast.
Stuart

Postby mellors55 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:55 pm

My Midas convertible is a metro 1275 A+ engine (bog standard) with a standard 4 speed box. I have fitted MG metro 13" wheels with 165x65x13 tyres. This makes the gearing quite a bit higher (about 20mph to 1000 revs) than what I had on my Mini Marcos on 10" wheels. I have used a standard MG metro speedo that got through the IVA - just. The car is quite high geared compared to the original metro and therefore does not feel particularly fast but does return good MPG.
At one time I did have a Mk3 coupe with the later K series engine and 5 speed box. A conversion that made life quite difficult under the bonnet. Clearance for some things was very tight. Although the engine and gearbox was nice (1.4 - 8 valve). the practicalities of regular maintenance were quite difficult. I think that if you want to go down the K series, 5 speed route, then an Excelsior or Cortez is a better bet perhaps.
John
mellors55

Postby ACourtney » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:18 am

Rust hater wrote:
mellors55 wrote:I am also 6' tall and have recently retired.

I will have 39 years to wait for Historical status with my Midas but I would think that the running costs will work out at about the same as a MM (My fuel consumption is always in excess of 50mpg - My Mini Marcos struggled to get more than 40mpg - probably something to do with the gearing. So what you lose in road tax (£155) you will probably gain in lower fuel costs)

For me, it is a simple choice for a daily driver.
John
This is very useful to me, I'd like a car that feels fast rather than necessarily IS fast (I have one of those and will sell it in a while). The Midas MPG v Marcos MPG is boringly interesting to me. Is this perhaps due to Midas generally using a Metro engine and 5 speed box but Marcos a revvier smaller Mini engine with 4 speed box? I learn that a classic Mini 5 speed is rare due to not being very strong (and lets not talk about the highly desirable 6 speed, not in my wallet's league at full price).

I guess that without re-engineering the classic mini subframe a metro engine & 5 speed box in a Marcos or early Midas is not realistic? (I know, anything is possible). I ask as I'd like to keep mechanical things replaceable off the shelf within reason.

You might find the buyer's guide on the club website of use as it explains a bit more about each model - http://midasownersclub.co.uk/buying-and ... g-a-midas/
ACourtney

Postby Rust hater » Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:38 pm

Taking everything into account your advice now makes me think that my ideal, with a few compromises such as losing the earlier very classic looks and (soon) tax fee status, if I want something that has not been modified mechanically its a Mk4 coupe to give a 5 speed gearbox as standard. Mellors55 idea of an easy gearing change by upgrading to Metro 13" wheels is also an option for my own needs/preferences. I had better start my search then for a Mk4 coupe whilst considering a set up like John's if no luck.

For very long ownership I would love aircon and see that a few metros had this (probably all Japanese) but quite a few MG TF's had it. But that is icing to perhaps go on the cake later. Does anyone know if the MG TF K series engine & gearbox are close enough to a Metro set-up for me to consider picking up a dubious (cheap) MG TF to run about in till I get the right Midas, so I already have a kit of aircon parts? Or am I nuts?
Rust hater

Postby benofbrum » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:56 pm

There is one mk 4 coupe in the club with 1.8 VVC engine. Not sure about aircon
benofbrum

Postby fozzza » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:45 pm

There does happen to be an unfinished MK4 on eBay at the moment.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MIDAS-Cortez ... :rk:5:pf:0
Roy
fozzza

Postby Jin » Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:08 pm

Hi.
I'm 6'2" and fit in a mk4 / cortez no problem (although the physical activity of doing so raises some challenges LOL) and the front end can be manipulated to be slightly easier on the eye.
Attachments
20181008_165754.jpg
20181008_165754.jpg (5.74 MiB) Viewed 8385 times
https://easywider.co.uk/ universal flexible wheel arch extensions
Jin

Postby benofbrum » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:24 pm

This is a massive picture on my computer and does not show the front of the car.
If you have the same problem, Rust Hater, go to Projects/N171NGO? page 10 and there are some good photos of the front.
In fact read the whole post, there has been a lot of upgrading on this car which has won best or most improved Midas at Stoneleigh for the last two years.
benofbrum

Postby Rust hater » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:13 pm

Embarrassing but I hadn't twigged that Mk4 = Cortez. One day I might find the front attractive but by then I'll have had to hand in my licence. Even the tweaked car, looks great from all angles except, to me, those headlamps. To me Mk1-3 look great but not the Mk4. Very annoying as otherwise it seemed the one for my asks. Oh well, like buying a house there need to be compromises but it needs to make me grin even just sitting on the drive. No matter, the pursuit can be part of the pleasure even if it is cars we are talking about. I will make an effort to sit in a Mk 1-3 to be sure this isn't a pipedream.
Rust hater

Postby Rust hater » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:17 pm

benofbrum wrote:Of the 2, the Excelsior is by far the more civilised car which is why the mark 1 will be for sale when my Cortez is ready for the road.
it took about 2 hours running to cook it into submission, en route to Shepton Mallett.
But I do agree that the prettiest is the Gold Couple

Do you have a Mk1 in Shepton Mallet? I am keen to simply try getting in/out & the sitting position and work in Langport so not a million miles away. Any chance of me coming over sometime to be sure I am not chasing a pointless idea? Regards, Michael
Rust hater

PreviousNext

Return to The Doorbell - Introduce yourself