Wheel PCD

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Wheel PCD

Postby axshack » Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:56 pm

now here is a problem.
I just recently bought a set of very shiny minilite lookalikes from minisport. They didnt fit!!! So had to return them.

Why? My PCD is 103mm, but I was expecting 101.6mm !!

So why is that? do I have some strangely different Metro hubs?

I dont think so, as I recently fitted new wheel bearings at the front without any snags...so can anyone explain why my PCD is not correct? Or is it?

Many thanks
Dave
axshack

Re: Wheel PCD

Postby Stuart » Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:25 pm

axshack wrote:My PCD is 103mm

Are you 100% sure about that? your car is currently on Revolution RFX's isn't it?

I'll hazard a guess that the issue was with the centre bore of the wheels.
Stuart

Postby axshack » Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:41 pm

well, unless I am measuring the PCD incorrectly (which is always possible) the studs definitely did NOT sit in the centre of the holes !!

Now you mention the centre bore, when I offered the wheel up, it pushed the centre cap off and was a snug fit - so maybe that IS the problem with the UltraLite wheels. And, yes, I have Revolution RFX's on at the moment

Anyway, it is all academic now, because the other problem was the 7" wheel width, which was just too much - even with Justin's arch extenders.

Now if I can get a set of minilites, in gold, 6x13 with a large enough centre bore and the right PCD (?) I will be a happy Midas owner. :P
axshack

Postby Stuart » Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:33 pm

axshack wrote:Now if I can get a set of minilites, in gold, 6x13 with a large enough centre bore and the right PCD (?) I will be a happy Midas owner. :P

I imagine even those will stick out too much with a Mini off-set. A 6" wide wheel with a C-dimension of around 120-125 mm would work. the RFX ones should be 115 mm.
Stuart

Postby Geoff Butcher » Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:20 pm

There doesn't seem to be much of a choice of 13" alloys these days
Geoff
Geoff Butcher

Postby axshack » Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:15 am

yes, the ET of -7 on the Ultralights I tried would have been perfect.
Currently, I have had to space the RFXs out by 5mm to prevent the wheels fouling the new coilover lower mounting on full lock !!

Dave
axshack

Postby axshack » Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:16 am

Geoff Butcher wrote:There doesn't seem to be much of a choice of 13" alloys these days

You are so right Geoff. I wonder if I should consider 14" rims and a lower profile tyre?

d
axshack

Postby fozzza » Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:34 pm

Hi Dave.
I think Stuart's theory about the bore size in the wheel is correct. Whilst I was refurbishing the wheels on my Mk3 project car I wanted to keep the car mobile and planned to fit some old 12" steel wheels but encountered the same problem. The pcd was perfect but the bore in the wheel would not fit over the spiggot on the hub. This did make me wonder whether all the after market wheels from the likes of Mini Sport and Mini Spares etc would have the same issue. I think Dave you have answered my question.
I think the pcd error may be down to some dodgey machining on the wheels, I can't see there being a problem with your hubs especially if you have RFX's fitted.
Roy
fozzza

Postby Stuart » Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:05 pm

axshack wrote:yes, the ET of -7 on the Ultralights I tried would have been perfect.

-7 ET is way out, I've not actually worked out the ET but ones that will fit will be a positive ET.

With regard to 14" wheels altering the hubs to 100 mm PCD will open up the options, or get some 4" PCD Image wheels made.

ETA a rough calculation on a 6" rim gives an ET of around +36 if I've worked it out correctly.

If only I had the budget. ..
Stuart

Postby Stuart » Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:42 pm

fozzza wrote: Whilst I was refurbishing the wheels on my Mk3 project car I wanted to keep the car mobile and planned to fit some old 12" steel wheels but encountered the same problem. The pcd was perfect but the bore in the wheel would not fit over the spiggot on the hub.

I lent a friend my Mini wheels, (he owned a burgundy coupe) when he was having his wheels refurbished, I think they just worked with a tiny bit of thread to hold the wheels against the hub spigot, enough to roll the car. That was the first Midas I went in and I was blown away by the way it went around corners.
Stuart

Next

Return to Mk 3 Coupe