MG Metro wheel

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

MG Metro wheel

Postby Chris59 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:05 pm

Hello guys,

My Mk2 wheels (sort of Minilites) have an excessive "positive" offset, ie the tyres are not fully covered by the wings, it's illegal in France.

Do you think that a set of MG Metro 12" alloys could fit ?

I can't check for the moment, as front and rear drive trains are removed from the car, but the more I look, the more I think that these wheels may foul something (rear shock absorbers, front Wheel arches…) as their "negative" offset is important.

Do you have any experiences with these wheels on a Mk2 ? I don't really want to play with spacers, as wheel bearings rarely appreciate the game.....
Chris59

Re: MG Metro wheel

Postby Stuart » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:22 pm

Measure the C-dimension (inner rim edge to hub surface mounting face) of the wheel, you can just about get away with 95 mm dependant on tyre size, subframe centralisation and damper position, the subframe is over to the drivers side by about 5 mm, and you can move the dampers in a little by elongating the top mounting holes.

I'm going to guess that they're not going to fit.
Stuart

Postby benofbrum » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:56 am

If the tyre sticks out by no more than 15mm, then Justin's Easywider moulding might do the trick. He developed them for his Cortez and went on to commission a back moulding.
Check them out on https://easywider.co.uk
The picture of the blue car on the website is his Cortez
benofbrum

Postby benofbrum » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:57 am

oops, that should read "batch" not "back"
benofbrum

Postby fozzza » Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:22 pm

Again Stuart is correct.
When I ordered my mk2 from the Corby factory, Harold did ask me what wheels I was fitting and I told him MG Metro. He straight away said they won't fit and informed me of the correct offset measurements.
I may have them written down somewhere but this was thirty years ago.
Roy
fozzza

Postby Chris59 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:27 pm

Thanks Guys, I'll check the C-dimension on my MG Metro wheels, but, as you said, I'm pretty sure they won't fit now.

Apparently, the best thing to do is to wait : once everything will be put back together on my Mk2, I'll take measurements and try to find the right wheels.

@ Benofbrum, thanks for the link (my browser do not want to open it for security reasons ??), but I Don't want to modify the body on this car, it's already a jocke on Wheel (well, nearly…) in itself !
Chris59

Postby johno » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:54 pm

Chris, The Metro wheel is a strange size when compared to the Mini. Hence the problem members with the Mk3 have in fitting 'after market' rims as few makers produce wheels to fit the Metro. I suspect your wheels (if 12") may not be the correct offset for the mini and could have come from a Hillman Imp which has the same pcd at4" but a smaller offset.
There is a website http://www.wheeldictionary.net/ which should help. Also http://www.theminiforum.co.uk/forums/ is a valuable source of information.
johno

Postby Chris59 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:58 pm

Thanks Johno, it will be usefull.
Chris59

Postby johno » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:02 pm

Chris, The key piece of information you needs seems to be that fitting disc brakes often means an extra 1" 25mm of track width. This pushes the outer edge of the tyre further out than may be original to the car.
johno

Postby fozzza » Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:15 pm

I fitted Metro 4 pots to my Mk2, the track width is just about road legal even though mine is a later model with wider wheel arches.
Roy
fozzza

Next

Return to Mk 2