Front shockabsorber

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Front shockabsorber

Postby oldnut45 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:35 pm

DSCF2444.jpg
DSCF2444.jpg (107.97 KiB) Viewed 4546 times

As you can see from the photo I have purchased new front shock absorber brackets to replace the badly corroded originals. however the build manual refers to a modified bracket that should be used as per DHM 28/29 but I cannot find a copy of this diagram.
Can anyone advise me what the modification is or provide a copy of the diagram.

Graham
oldnut45

Re: Front shockabsorber

Postby johno » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:04 pm

I can't find a drawing in the club's website Downloads section but it looks as if it just has an additional two holes. Possibly because it's fixing to GRP rather than steel bodywork.
johno

Postby Stuart » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:36 pm

johno wrote:I can't find a drawing in the club's website Downloads section but it looks as if it just has an additional two holes. Possibly because it's fixing to GRP rather than steel bodywork.

Likewise I can't find anything either. Two additional holes in the brackets and two bolts/studs each side with I'm guessing a shaped washer/spreader welded to the head, these are inserted through the tower bolt holes.
Stuart

Postby oldnut45 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:21 pm

Thanks johno and Stuart for your replies, however could I ask for a little clarification, if you can help. Is it critical where the two extra holes are positioned? Are they anything like the position as shown in the photo of the old bracket ( incidentally the extra holes were never drilled in the bodywork on the vehicle I have). It seems to me that wherever they are positioned they will be located within the fiberglass crossmember that carries the front subframe, making them difficult to get the bolts in position.
Not having a picture of the 2 damper bracket fixings DHM30 as mentioned in the build manual I am a little unsure what is required. Surely if the four lower holes are as I said within the crossmember then that would require 4 of the special fixings and not the two stated in the build manual.
Graham
oldnut45

Postby Stuart » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:58 pm

I've just had a look at my car Graham and would say the new holes look to be in the same position as your old bracket, so those two fixings are indeed captive in the crossmember.

I'll take a photo if I can get my camera to work (one of the terminals is corroded and it is awkward to get at it) when I have more time.
I may also have a go at removing mine as they're very rusty like yours. The heads of those bottom bolts are not easy to see either, in fact I can't quite see or feel them.

Gave up with the camera, this is one from my very rubbish phone, forgive the quality. Now it looks like it has had a bit added to the top, I'll have to check to see if this is actually required.

IMG_20190212_140807 - Copy.jpg
IMG_20190212_140807 - Copy.jpg (2.94 MiB) Viewed 4529 times
Stuart

Postby Stuart » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:54 pm

I think you'll just get away with using the standard top holes, that'll put your bolts into the corner where the flat bulkhead joints the vertical inner wings.

Another option could be to use the lowered suspension brackets in the link but flipped to opposite sides of the car, that would put the now bottom fixings mid box-section area and the top ones well clear of that tricky corner, no holes to drill in the brackets and no need to add the top extension plate, and as a bonus a more vertical damper.

http://www.minispares.com/product/Class ... |Back%20to

Or could flipping your brackets work as well ?
Stuart

Postby oldnut45 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:53 am

Thanks for that. As I have already purchased the brackets as shown I think I will use them and add two more fixing holes in the best position I can, as I said earlier my car has not been drilled for the extra holes and had, I assume been running with 4 bolts only not 6. It would appear also from the picture that John posted his has only 4 bolts fixing the bracket and assume his car has run ok without the extra 2 fixings.
Hey ho the joys of kit car ownership.
Graham
oldnut45

Postby Stuart » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:01 am

oldnut45 wrote:Thanks for that. As I have already purchased the brackets as shown I think I will use them and add two more fixing holes in the best position I can, as I said earlier my car has not been drilled for the extra holes and had, I assume been running with 4 bolts only not 6. It would appear also from the picture that John posted his has only 4 bolts fixing the bracket and assume his car has run ok without the extra 2 fixings.
Hey ho the joys of kit car ownership.
Graham

Yes mine is a factory build car Graham so it has been like that since 1983, thinking more about the lower fixings and only two mentioned in the build I imagine the spreader/brace probably joins the two bolts together, easier to fit perhaps.

Just note what I've said about the upper mounting holes. Also if you don't have any lower holes in the shell does that mean it was only running with the upper fixings? or the holes have been glassed over? I'd have thought the holes would be factory drilled.
Stuart

Postby oldnut45 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:03 am

Sorry just noticed your comment Stuart about a top extension piece, this is just visible on the picture that John posted, but my existing brackets did not have an extension piece ?? A copy of the diagram DHM28/29 would answer many questions.
Graham
oldnut45

Postby Stuart » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:07 am

oldnut45 wrote:Sorry just noticed your comment Stuart about a top extension piece, this is just visible on the picture that John posted, but my existing brackets did not have an extension piece ?? A copy of the diagram DHM28/29 would answer many questions.
Graham

Yes that's my car and photo Graham. I made an edit to my last post too for more clarity.
Stuart

Next

Return to Mk 1