Q959EGV k-series mk3

Newbie? Introduce yourself here!

Ring the bell and say "Hi" by telling us a little about you and your cars. We always have someone in who'll get the door and welcome you to the family!

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Q959EGV k-series mk3

Postby Joris » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:09 am

Hi all,

I’ve always (well, for the last 30 years anyway) wanted a Midas and now I’ve located one.
Convincing the wife that this is the ideal car for our family of 5 is going to be challenging but I’m hopefull!

It is a black 1988 Mk3 Coupe with a k-series engine fitted. The current reg is Q959EGV. Can anyone tell me if this is the car that used to belong to Stan Armstrong and then to John Mellors?

Best regards,
Joris
Joris

Re: Q959EGV k-series mk3

Postby IanJ » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:50 pm

Hi Joris,

Welcome to the forum. I’m a fairly newbie to the Midas mk3 family and at present, at the start of a complete restoration, so unfortunately I can’t help with answering your questions about previous owners of your car. However it’s good to have you onboard and hopefully we will see you at some of the club events and gatherings. It’s also good to see the mark beginning to have a kind of renaissance.
Best regards
Ian
IanJ

Postby fozzza » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:06 pm

Hi Joris.
Welcome to the forum, I do believe that it is the MK3 that Stan converted to a K series. He spoke about it a couple of months ago when I met him at the Moffat car rally.
Roy
fozzza

Postby Joris » Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:43 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome!
Joris

Postby Alan D. » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:37 pm

Hi Joris,
If you want to speak to Stan, I'm sure he would be happy to do so. Just PM a number and I will get him to call you.
Welcome to the forum.
Regards Alan Donowho
Alan D.

Postby Joris » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:45 pm

Hi Alan,
Thanks for that. I tried to click on “contact Alan” but it doesn’t work. I suppose I need to have some more activity on the forum before I’m allowed to P.M.
I’ll PM you as soon as I can.
Best, Joris
Joris

Postby stan1396 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:10 pm

Hi Joris, Had a call from Alan today to say you wanted to speak to me. Its been a while since I rebuilt the car so will have a bit of thinking to do! I found it on a farm in 2002 in a hell of a mess. There was even a chickens egg on the manifold and 2ins of water inside. I tried to steadily improve it over the years, but it has been through other hands now, who probably made a better job than me!
One thing I think may need improvement is the front springs. I tried 3 different ratings and still didn't get it right. My mate Ian probably got it right when he said look at the identity number plate, under the bonnet and it has the front axle weight on there. Add 2 passengers weight and half it to give your poundage,- that should give a good start point. Of course this could have been altered by someone else since.
Alan can give you my e mail and tel number if you want to speak direct. Going out now so it will have to be tomorrow. hope you enjoy the car as much as I did! Stan.
PS, splashed out 18 months ago on a BMW Z4 coupe, 3 ltr straight six,100,000 on the clock 07 plate, but just ran in really!
stan1396

Postby Joris » Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:01 am

Thanks so much for helping me out Alan and Stan! I actually didn’t buy the car in the end as I found an Elise S1 for a really good price and couldn’t resist.
The car is still for sale here in Cork in the Republic of Ireland. https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for ... d/22466098
It is advertised at €2250 but I know the seller is flexible on the price. It is on UK plates and was last registered in Northern Ireland. From looking through the internet I don’t think much was changed to the car since you put the k-series drivetrain in. Wheels are now 14” which probably doesn’t do it any favours. Overall the condition of the car is fair but at some stage it was painted and there are a good few micro blisters on the nose.
I think the k-series conversion was very well done and with some more work it may even be possible to move the drivetrain back by an inch or so (and while cutting into the subframe anyway it might be just as easy to change the suspension to the Watson setup that has now been tried and tested). The 1.4 8v engine should be perfect for this car. If you really wanted a bit more out of it I’m confident that it would be possible to machine extra valve pockets in standard 1.8 16v pistons and upgrade to 1.8 8v. With all that torque low down and the 5 gears it should be a pleasure to drive!
In general though I think that the Midas is an ideal car for conversion to electric. Usually one of the biggest challenges in an ev conversion is weight and space for batteries. The space behind the rear seats is ideal for batteries; also from a security point of view. Engine swaps in a midas always run into space problems. An electric motor is much lower than an internal combustion one somit should be easy to get a good size motor in.
Enjoy the Z4 Stan! Joris
Joris

Postby Alan D. » Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:15 pm

I have an S1 too and an Elan Plus 2. The S1 is the best car I have ever driven.
Alan
Alan D.

Postby madmax83 » Fri Feb 24, 2023 10:58 am

Joris wrote:In general though I think that the Midas is an ideal car for conversion to electric. Usually one of the biggest challenges in an ev conversion is weight and space for batteries. The space behind the rear seats is ideal for batteries; also from a security point of view. Engine swaps in a midas always run into space problems. An electric motor is much lower than an internal combustion one somit should be easy to get a good size motor in.

Has an electric conversion ever been done on a midas!?
madmax83

Return to The Doorbell - Introduce yourself