Server downtime

Here you can natter about anything and everything!

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Re: Server downtime

Postby manifold » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:03 pm

just a reminder that the forum may be off for a day or two (this week) whilst ISP gets changed and I do some reconfiguring.

cheers.
Midas Cars Forum & Facebook Page Founder

Midas Gold Convertible: 1380 steel 16v KAD & 5 sp dog box, Titanium mania, KAD fr/rear callipers, CF Steering

Midas Gold Coupe: 1380 7 port xflow, SC/CR gearbox, Titanium mania, CF Steering & seats.
manifold

Postby Rich » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:23 am

Are you updating the phpBB to the latest version as well David?
Rich

Postby manifold » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:21 pm

Will probably do that as a separate task, although it is necessary with the amount of russian/ukraine hackers trying to hit it!

Midas Gold Convertible: 1380 steel 16v KAD & 5 sp dog box, Titanium mania, KAD fr/rear callipers, CF Steering

Midas Gold Coupe: 1380 7 port xflow, SC/CR gearbox, Titanium mania, CF Steering & seats.
manifold

Postby Rich » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:54 pm

manifold wrote:Will probably do that as a separate task, although it is necessary with the amount of russian/ukraine hackers trying to hit it!

It took me about 12 hours to do manually, though this is the first time I've done it and my computer was playing dead for much of it. We run a very rigorous anti spam system which has worked a treat, so much so I have cleared all the IP bans as we must have had most of Eastern Europe, Russia and a good proportion of China locked out at one point. The new version does seem to be an improvement in that respect, everything else appears much the same.
Rich

Postby manifold » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:43 am

i've done the upgrade in phpbb a few times. sometimes its smooth running, sometimes its a right pain. ;).

probably do that in the new year though.

manifold

Postby manifold » Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:09 pm

Right guys. Service Provider transfer complete.

You will now be able to get to the forum via the usual address.....which is how you got here! or by typing in http://midasforum.dyndns.org (if your firewall will allow dyndns).

Cheers,

D

manifold

Postby max midas » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:20 am

Is it just me, or are other people experiencing problems accessing the site?
Often when I click on this site I get the words

IT WORKS!

and thats all, no pages, no links, no nothing.
It's very frustrating - I need my daily fix of Midas news.
max midas

Postby Hans Efde » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:50 am

Yes I have the same problem. Yesterday I could not access the site at all, but last weekend I got that message as well. I did a "whois midascarsforum" search on Google and the first link worked. A sort of backdoor.
Hans Efde

Postby manifold » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:58 pm

sorry chaps and chappesses. Its my fault yesterday. There are a few servers on the same network in 'the office' and what you are seeing is another server (mac Apache server), serving web pages when there has been a power failure instead of the Linux Apache Server. It alternates between the differing IP's. How Hans got through via a back door surprises me as its not supposed to do that. All thats needed to do is sit down and lock the router to one address and make the Midas Forum Server have a 'static' address. Been compounded a lot recently due to a load of power cuts we have been having local to the server.

On another note, glad you need a daily fix of the MIdas Forum! I do too! Its nice to know that people are liking it. I know a few wont come on here because its not Yahoo but hey thats another story ;).

manifold

Postby Geoff Butcher » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:12 pm

manifold wrote:On another note, glad you need a daily fix of the MIdas Forum! I do too! Its nice to know that people are liking it. I know a few wont come on here because its not Yahoo but hey thats another story ;).

Bizarre! Why would Midas on Yahoo be better than Midas here? :?:
Geoff
Geoff Butcher

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat